Older workers falling behind in employment as younger people gaining new jobs

·

Older Australians and those employed by small businesses are being left behind by the recovery out of the coronavirus recession as the withdrawal of federal government support filters through the economy.

The recovery is being driven by employment of teenagers, which is now almost 14 per cent above its pre-virus level, growing by 3.2 per cent in the last weeks of October alone.

The worst hit age group is now those over the age of 70 with numbers down by 12.2 per cent, while among those in their 60s the drop has been 6.5 per cent. The next worst age group are those in their 20s, down by 4.5 per cent.

The Morrison government has come under fire for its JobMaker hiring credit program, which pays employers up to $200 a week for each extra staff member aged under 30 they take on. The subsidy is $100 for those workers aged between 30 and 35 with no support for those over 35.

Westpac senior economist Justin Smirk said there had been a 5.5 per cent surge in the number of teenagers on payrolls over the past month compared to a 0.1 per cent drop in those aged between 30 and 36.

“If you remember back to May, both over 70s and under 20s payrolls were the hardest hit by the lockdowns whereas now, the under 20s have surged back while over 70s continue to languish,” he said.

Senior economist with global job website Indeed, Callam Pickering, said it appeared older Australians were struggling to get back into the jobs market.

“Job losses for both men and women remain concentrated among older Australians,” he said.

Unfortunately, many older Australians may be forced into retirement by a lack of opportunity. Payrolls for men and women aged 60 to 69 are still down 6.5 per cent and 9.2 per cent, respectively, and are showing few signs of improvement.”

Sourced By: SMH

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Multicultural media celebrated by the NSW Premier at annual communications awards

The winners of the 2023 Premier’s Multicultural Media and Communications Awards have been named.

Greece’s Thessaloniki Documentary Festival postponed due to Coronavirus fears

With just days until it was due to launch, the 2020 Thessaloniki Documentary Festival has been postponed amid growing coronavirus fears.

Greece hit by severe flooding and power cuts from Storm Byron

Storm Byron has caused severe flooding, power cuts and major disruption across Greece, forcing all schools in Attica to close.