NSW records 112 new local COVID-19 cases, exposure sites grow

·

NSW has reported 112 new local coronavirus cases on Monday, another record daily total for Sydney’s growing coronavirus outbreak.

The figure is more than triple the highest daily case numbers seen during the city’s Crossroads or Avalon clusters last year.

Premier, Gladys Berejiklian, said the “vast majority” of those cases are family members of close contacts of existing cases.

Of these locally acquired cases, 64 are linked to a known case or cluster – 41 are household contacts and 23 are close contacts – and the source of infection for 48 cases remains under investigation.

48 cases were in isolation throughout their infectious period and 12 cases were in isolation for part of their infectious period. 34 cases were infectious in the community, and the isolation status of 18 cases remain under investigation.

Berejiklian said there are a large number of cases and exposure venues in south west Sydney, particularly the Fairfield, Liverpool and Canterbury Banstown areas.

Gladys Berejiklian.

“All of us want to get out of this lockdown as soon as we can. All of us want to reduce the stress we are all feeling and the future is in our hands,” Berejiklian says.

“It is up to us to make sure we get the word out and whilst three local government areas are where most of the cases are certainly circulating, please know the risk is everywhere in those areas that we have asked for people to stay home.”

New phase of the vaccine rollout in NSW:

The NSW Government will enhance its contribution to the Federal Government’s vaccine rollout to ensure maximum uptake both now, and as more supplies arrive.

NSW will prioritise teachers and aged care workers in the Fairfield, Canterbury Bankstown and Liverpool local government areas where there is greater concern of COVID-19 transmission. A vaccine hub will begin operating at Fairfield Showground this Friday to target these two groups.

NSW Health vaccination clinics and centres will now begin making the AstraZeneca vaccine available to people aged over 40.

NSW will also green-light pharmacies across the state to do the same.

Anyone aged 18-39 wishing to get the AstraZeneca jab, is encouraged to talk to their GP.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

St Euphemia College hosts Hellenic National Defence delegation

St Euphemia College welcomed a distinguished delegation from the Hellenic National Defence General Staff (HNDGS).

St Spyridon College students shine at 2026 da Vinci Decathlon

Students from St Spyridon College took part in the 2026 da Vinci Decathlon at Knox Grammar School, with selected participants.

Oakleigh Grammar celebrates 10 years of changing lives with the Arrowsmith Program

Oakleigh Grammar proudly marked a significant milestone, celebrating 10 years of the Arrowsmith Program with a special evening.

You May Also Like

Pierre Lykourezos steps in to help 91-year-old Sydney woman left without staircase

A Sydney great-grandmother has been given a heartwarming lifeline thanks to builder Pierre Lykourezos. Full story here.

Dennis Bastas buys Victoria’s most expensive home in landmark deal

Melbourne healthcare billionaire Dennis Bastas and his wife Georgina have purchased Toorak estate Coonac set to exceed $100 million.

Malaysian fugitive allegedly hiding in China using Greek alias and forged Australian passport

Fugitive Malaysian Jho Low is reportedly living in China under Greek alias Constantinos Achilles Veis using a forged Australian passport.