Nostalgia, comedy and depth: Wog Boys Forever film premieres in Sydney

·

Just one week after ‘Wog Boys Forever’ premiered at Melbourne’s Palais Theatre before 3000 people, Nick Giannopolous and the Wog Boys 3 ensemble made their way northward, checking in to the Enmore Theatre for the Sydney premiere on Thursday night.

The stars of the film were present on the night, with Nick accompanied by fellow cast mates Vince Colosimo, Sarah Roberts, Costa D’Angelo, DJ Havana Brown and Sooshi Mango, on the red carpet.

Speaking with The Greek Herald earlier this month, Nick described the Sydney premiere location as a full circle moment.

“Did you know Enmore used to show Greek movies in the 60s and 70s? So to go back and turn it into a cinema again, that’s really special to me. It’s kind of like coming full circle,” he said at the time.

Whilst the venue was a deliberate choosing well-suited to Nick – the son of Greek migrants – it was also one well suited to Nick – the performer.

The moment the house lights dimmed, the wog boy, sporting his black-on-black (on-black) attire walked out to a roar of applause from an electric crowd.

Over the next half hour, audiences were treated to a stage show before the movie’s premiere and were reminded that whilst the man before them was an accomplished actor, producer and writer, he too was a man whose roots in the entertainment industry run deeply in the world of stand-up comedy.

As for the film itself, Giannopoulos reprised his role as the iconic Steve ‘The Wog Boy’ Karamitsis, bringing his familiar comedic flair as well as an unexpected level of maturity and depth previously unseen in the franchise.

As we track Steve’s journey to regaining that which he had once lost, audiences are treated to familiar narratives of rekindled relationships, meddling neighbours and cross-generational camaraderie.

The film is fearless in its ethnic representation and holds racism firmly in its grips, at times challenging stereotypes whilst simultaneously embracing them to earn the resounding laughter and applause of the audience.

Making their big screen debut were the film’s break-out stars, internet comedy group, Sooshi Mango.

Speaking with The Greek Herald, one-third of the trio, Andrew Manfre said: “It’s an absolute honour and a privilege to be a part of the movie.”

“We’ve all grown up watching it so to be a part of the trilogy is unbelievable,” he added.

Also making her silver screen debut was Australian DJ and recording artist, DJ Havana Brown, who told The Greek Herald whilst on the red carpet that despite her nerves she was excited to see the film.

“I know Nick (Giannopoulos) and Frank (Lotito) the director know what they’re doing, so I know it’s going to be amazing,” she said.

“I grew up with it (the wog boy series) and I feel like my culture is similar in a lot of ways … I feel like we’re very similar in our morals and our families are very similar. So I get all the jokes and the humour behind it all,” the Mauritian Australian said.

Across 109 minutes, the film delivers nostalgic moments drawing on the franchise’s first two films, whilst standing entirely on its own as a celebration of togetherness in difference.

WOG BOYS FOREVER opens nationally in cinemas on 6 October.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Stefanos Tsitsipas promises to return to meet GCM school students

The Greek Community of Melbourne recently welcomed Stefanos Tsitsipas to the Greek Centre ahead of the Australian Open.

‘It’s about surviving’: Fairfield fish shop owner, Gabriel Violaris, on coping with the lockdown

Gabriel Violaris, the owner of Smart St Fish Market in downtown Fairfield, has tried to make the best of a bad situation during lockdown.

South Melbourne storm to fourth win of season in emphatic style

South Melbourne FC was spectacular against Melbourne Victory Youth on Sunday, winning 4-2 and celebrating their second consecutive win.