Ninth body recovered from Kythera refugee shipwreck

·

A ninth body has been recovered off the southern Greek island, Kythera, where a vessel carrying 95 refugees was overcome by gale-force winds, struck rocks and sank last Wednesday.

The Hellenic coast guard said on Tuesday that the body of a woman was located near the wreck site and that another six people are believed to be missing.

The overcrowded yacht had left Turkey last Monday, October 3 and was headed through Greek waters for Italy when it veered off course.

Migrants, most of them from Afghanistan, gather at an old school used as a temporary shelter on the island of Kythera, southern Greece, Thursday, October 6, 2022. AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis.

At the time of the sinking, residents and emergency services rushed to help, using ropes and improvised slings to rescue 80 refugees, 13 of whom were taken to Kythera’s hospital.

Despite strong winds initially hampering the search, two women and six men were found dead in the incident last week.

Amongst those still missing is an Egyptian man suspected of having captained the vessel.

One survivor, a Syrian man, has been charged with belonging to the migrant-smuggling ring that arranged the passage, for which migrants paid 9,000-10,000 euros each, AP News reported.

Athens has blamed the tragedy on Ankara’s unwillingness to implement the agreements it has signed with the European Union to prevent migrant boats from reaching European shores.

“As long as Turkey does not apply the laws, as long as it backs traffickers, as long as it does not honour the agreements it has signed, we will unfortunately also be faced with such tragedies,” government spokesperson Giannis Oikonomou told journalists at a regular briefing last Thursday. 

READ MORE: ‘An unbelievable sight’: At least 23 dead as two refugee boats sink off Greek coast

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Victorian futsal referee Maria Patrikis recognised at Vic Sport Awards

Football Victoria has announced Maria Patrikis has been named the Sports Accounting Australia Official of the Year at the Vic Sport Awards.

Katina Apostoleris sues Sunbury childcare centre over alleged arm injury to daughter

Katina Apostoleris is suing Sunbury childcare centre Woodlands Education after alleging her daughter Isabella suffered a dislocated elbow.

Voco Darwin suites open as family honours builder John Halikos

A new 88-room Voco hotel development in Darwin has opened as a tribute to late Territory builder John Halikos.

$180 million Axion Estin redevelopment awaits ministerial approval in Victoria

A $180 million redevelopment of the Holy Monastery of Axion Estin, a Greek Orthodox church site in Northcote, is under consideration.

Peter V’landys alleges ‘retaliation’ in defamation case against racing website owner

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys is accusing racehorse news owner Vicky Leonard of publishing an allegedly defamatory article.

You May Also Like

The European Parliament votes in favor of sanctions against Turkey

For the first time, the European Parliament, by a large majority, voted in favor of the imposition of strict sanctions on Turkey.

Sophie Cotsis MP, Member for Canterbury

80 years ago, the people of Greece said No to fascism. Greeks would eventually fight alongside Allied forces, including forces from Australia. Greeks and Australians...

Brisbane Olympics chief Andrew Liveris backs new stadium at Victoria Park

Andrew Liveris, President of Brisbane's 2032 Olympic Games Organising Committee, has called for a new stadium to be built at Victoria Park.