Nick Giannopoulos and his ‘Wog Boys’ embark on farewell tour

·

In an emotional return to the Enmore Theatre for the Sydney premiere of his latest film, Nick Giannopoulos, took a nostalgic look back at his journey from a Richmond milk bar to becoming an Australian entertainment icon.

According to the Daily Telegraph, the same stage that witnessed his first show in 1985 will host his farewell tour, “Wog Life,” in March, promising a trip down memory lane for his devoted fans.

“All us kids who were from immigrant parents, they decided to call us the wogs,” he told Insider. “Even though we were born here, we didn’t feel like we belonged here.” “In a strange way, at school, by deciding to call ourselves wogs, it kind of gave us the power back”.

Giannopoulos first created the groundbreaking show “Wogs Out of Work” in 1987, highlighting the lack of cultural diversity on Australian screens at the time. The success of the show led to the creation of the hit television series “Acropolis Now,” a landmark moment for multicultural representation on prime time TV.

Photo: Josie Hayden

Today, despite the progress made, he acknowledges that discrimination is still here, especially towards newer immigrant communities. “Because what it means to be an Australian is very different now to what it was 30 or 40 years ago,” he mentioned.

The farewell tour, “Wog Life,” serves as both a celebration of Giannopoulos’ career and a reflection on Australia’s evolving cultural landscape.

Are we better or worse? Giannopoulos is not sure. It’s on to a different race now, he reasons, according to the Daily Telegraph. The Italians and Greeks have worked hard, proven their worth – it’s the newest to arrive that cop it.

“Are we as racist now? Ask anyone with an Asian, African or Arabic background and let’s see their answers to that question,” he said.

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

You May Also Like

Cumberland Mayor Steve Christou vows to go ahead with Australia Day events despite backlash

Mr Christou said last week that cancelling Australia Day events was “completely unacceptable and quite frankly unAustralian”.

Greek PM: ‘Best-case scenario’ is we will reopen for tourism on July 1

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, said in an interview he had high hopes the tourism season would start July 1, as the Greek economy depends on it.

Hellenic Lyceum of Sydney hold inaugural book club to mark Asia Minor Catastrophe centenary

The Hellenic Lyceum of Sydney launched its inaugural book club on Sunday, November 27 to mark the centenary of the Asia Minor Catastrophe.