Luna Park launches legal action amid Sydney train strike disruption

·

Luna Park is taking legal action to ensure its New Year’s Eve party proceeds as planned, with industrial action by the Rail, Tram and Bus Union (RTBU) threatening to disrupt Sydney’s celebrations.

The venue’s popular harbour party, which has sold all 6,500 tickets, could be impacted by the ongoing strike, which affects key transport services for the city’s biggest events.

Having recently changed hands for the first time in nearly 20 years with Bill and Mario Gravanis, the brothers behind the Oscars Group, purchasing the iconic Sydney staple last month, Luna Park expressed concern over the timing of the strike. They also noted that other entertainment venues are also considering legal options.

The union clarified that the strike would primarily impact staff travel distances rather than cause widespread disruption for passengers. However, Minister for Transport Jo Haylen declared, “No amount of industrial action on New Year’s Eve would be considered tolerable,” emphasising the need for reliable train services to transport millions of people to Sydney’s harbour for the celebrations.

Mario & Bill Gravanis.

The NSW government is set to meet with Fair Work on Tuesday, December 24, to prevent further disruptions.

Amid discussions, Paul Nicolaou of Business Sydney told the ABC on Sunday, December 22, “We’re calling on the unions to call off this industrial action because it’s going to have a big impact on small to medium sized businesses and the community’s wellbeing.”

“And if these fireworks are cancelled, millions of dollars are going to be lost.

“And remember, Sydney is the first city that brings in the new year, and it will affect our global reputation.”

He concluded that “anything we can do to call off this industrial action is really, really important.”

Source: Nine News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Development of $48 million Marrickville cultural precinct put on hold

The 'Rich Street Innovation Hub' in Marrickville has been placed on hold by Danias Holdings who have cited tenant loss as the cause.

Chief of the Greek armed forces says Greece needs to change its “tactics” on migration

Greece is facing an “asymmetrical threat” from Turkey vis-a-vis the refugee and migration crisis, and the European union is “incapable and unwilling” to deal...

Greek Presidential decree on extension of western territorial waters comes into force

A presidential decree on the extension of western territorial waters came into force through its publication in the government gazette.