Largest flood emergency response in NSW history underway as clean up continues in SA and Victoria

·

Emergency Services in New South Wales are facing the largest flood operation in the state’s history, with thousands of people displaced and hundreds rescued from inundated homes and communities, ABC News has reported.

This comes as the clean up continues in South Australia and Victoria.

New South Wales:

The Lachlan River near the NSW town of Forbes is nearing a predicted peak of about 10.8 metres, similar to record levels set in 1952.

With the flood peak yet to arrive, Forbes Mayor Phyllis Miller estimated two-thirds of the town was already inundated.

A team from Fire Emergency New Zealand has touched down to provide relief to exhausted SES crews who have been dealing with flooding in the Forbes district for months.

In Eugowra, the NSW SES says at least 225 buildings have been damaged in the floods.

Meanwhile, rescue workers are continuing their search for 85-year-old Les Vugec, who was reported missing as floodwaters swept through Eugowra. He last spoke to a relative from a car about 9.30am on Monday.

The search resumes after a body believed to be that of another Eugowra resident, Dianne Smith, was recovered yesterday.

Victoria:

As the clean-up from the floods in Victoria continues, King Charles has sent a letter of support to the Victorian governor.

The king said he and his wife had been following the “terrible” floods in Victoria and sent words of support to Victorians affected.

“Our heartfelt thoughts are with all those affected and for the losses that have been suffered,” he said.

Flooding in the state began in early October, with northern Victoria the hardest hit.

Volunteers with a floating flotilla full of sandbags to be transported to homes under threat in Echuca, Victoria. Picture: David Caird.

Two men were found dead in floodwater in northeast Victoria in separate incidents in mid-October, while hundreds of homes across the state were inundated with water and towns such as Echuca and Kerang advised to evacuate.

Debris is still being cleared in many areas and the wettest October on record inflicted extensive damage on the state’s roads.

South Australia:

In South Australia, nearly 40 schools remain without power after the savage weekend storms.

Department of Education chief executive, Martin Westwall, said hundreds of SACE students were meant to sit exams today.

“The SACE board’s got a process, just as if it was a bushfire or the student was ill or something like that, to make sure that no student is disadvantaged by not sitting the exam today,” he said.

The intense thunderstorms generated more than 100,000 lightning strikes along with winds of up to 106km/h.

More than 30,000 homes and businesses remain without power.

It follows a peak of 163,000 customers left in the dark as the state suffers its worst outage since the 2016 statewide blackout. 

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Turkish Cypriot journalist sentenced in absentia for offending Erdogan

Journalist and editor-in-chief of the Turkish-Cypriot newspaper Avrupa, Sener Levent, has been sentenced to prison in absentia in Turkey.

Greece to recognise degrees from 45 Australian universities

The Australian Embassy in Greece has announced that degrees from 45 Australian universities will now be recognised in Greece. 

Greek Australian Queensland students receive highest ATAR of 99.95

Brisbane Girls Grammar School student Matina Samios and Brisbane State High School’s Stamatios Iconomidis achieved ATAR's of 99.95.