Kon Vatskalis slams proposed NT council mayor election changes

·

Local Government Association of the Northern Territory (LGANT) president and Darwin Lord Mayor Kon Vatskalis has criticised a proposed amendment to the Local Government Act that would prevent voters from directly electing mayors across the Territory.

Under current rules, councils can decide whether their mayors are elected by the public or appointed by councillors at their first meeting. The proposed change would require all NT councils to adopt the appointment model, removing the option for popular vote.

Vatskalis said he was unclear why the change had been suggested and warned it could lead to political dysfunction.

“All the examples we’ve got from down south indicate that … it will generate so many problems that the minister and the department will be sorry for doing it,” he said.

“If you look at what happened in Victoria, a lot of the councils are in disarray because of the politics played inside the council to elect mayors.”

Currently, major councils including Darwin, Palmerston, Litchfield, Katherine, Alice Springs, and Barkly elect their mayors by popular vote, while most regional councils appoint them internally.

A discussion paper circulated to LGANT and councils argued the proposal would align the NT with most other jurisdictions, promote consistency, and reduce conflict between mayors and councillors. However, it also raised concerns about the potential impact on the visibility and legitimacy of mayors.

Alice Springs Mayor Matt Paterson, elected by just two votes in 2021, also opposed the proposal, calling it “a reduction in democracy.”

“I think you want to vote for your leader,” he said. “I don’t think the punters will wear it and I don’t think that they’ll be real happy about it.”

Local Government Minister Steve Edgington, himself a former directly elected mayor, said the government is still gathering feedback. “We’ve made no decisions,” he said.

“As the minister, I’ve certainly made no decisions on what the best way forward is at this point.”

Source: ABC.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

NZ Defence Minister praises enduring friendship forged on Crete in 1941

NZ Defence Minister Chris Penk has marked the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign.

You May Also Like

Erdogan insists on referring to the Aegean as ‘Sea of Islands’

The Turkish President also revisited the violent eviction of thousands of Greeks from Smyrna (modern-day Izmir) during the Greek-Turkish war of 1922.

Patriarchal encyclical reaffirms Nicaea’s legacy, seeks global Easter unity

To mark 1700 years since First Ecumenical Council of Nicaea, the Ecumenical Patriarchate has released a Patriarchal and Synodal Encyclical.

Greek tennis star and new Greek Consul General in Melbourne attend Pancretan vasilopita event

The Pancretan Association of Melbourne held their annual blessing and Vasilopita cutting for 2021 on Saturday, January 30.