Kirribilli Club shuttered after appointment of administrators

·

The historic Lavender Bay-based Kirribilli Club faces closure three months after it requested members to pledge $2000 following a hike in rental costs.

According to The Australian, the club has now been shuttered by administrators, with the future of its privately-owned harbourside site now in question ahead of a creditors’ meeting on Friday.

Administrator, Hugh Armenis said the club would continue to trade while he assesses its business, property and financial circumstances. The first meeting of creditors will be held on June 28.

The Kirribilli Club in Lavender Bay. CREDIT RHETT WYMAN
The Kirribilli Club in Lavender Bay. Photo: Rhett Wyman.

Club president, Lukas Bendt also addressed the matter, saying that the decision had been made with “great sadness”.

“Unfortunately, due to a combination of overwhelming financial, operational and hospitality market circumstances we have exhausted all available options and have not come to this conclusion lightly,” Bendt wrote to members in an email.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald, the Kirribilli Club’s financial difficulties come after findings in the Minns government’s budget papers that a few dozen casino-style clubs earned roughly $500 million in gaming tax breaks last year.

The club was founded in 1946 for former defense force soldiers and their families, and it moved to its current location in Lavender Bay in 2007.

Former North Sydney mayor and a lifelong club member, Jilly Gibson said the plan to raise money from members was “an interesting idea, but I couldn’t see it working”.

“It’s [the club has] been in financial difficulty almost from the time it opened in Lavender Bay,” Gibson said.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald and The Australian

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Olympiacos claim fourth EuroLeague title with victory over Real Madrid

Olympiacos BC have been crowned EuroLeague champions for a fourth time after defeating Real Madrid Baloncesto 92-85.

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

You May Also Like

BREAKING: New pledge for all states and territories to be open for travel by Christmas, excluding Western Australia

Australians will be able to travel between all states and territories except Western Australia by Christmas, under a new agreement struck between the nation's leaders.

Midnight flag raising at Fed Square begins Greek National Day celebrations in Melbourne

A symbolic midnight flag raising at Federation Square has marked the beginning of Greece’s National Day commemorations in Melbourne.

Melbourne Greek Community President invited to speak Economic Forum in Delphi

Melbourne Greek Community President Vassilis Papastergiadis is to be one of the speakers at the 5th Delphi Economic Forum, which will be held from...