‘Just the beginning’: Israel PM says about airstrikes which killed over 400 Palestinians

·

Israel launched deadly airstrikes across the Gaza Strip early Tuesday, March 18, killing more than 400 Palestinians, primarily women and children, and breaking a ceasefire that had been in place since January.

The strikes were ordered by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu after Hamas rejected Israeli demands to modify the ceasefire terms.

The White House voiced support for Israel’s actions, while Netanyahu stated that the airstrikes were “only the beginning” and a necessary step for securing the release of hostages.

The strikes targeted Hamas military infrastructure and leadership, with Israel warning of a possible expansion into ground operations.

In response, Hamas accused Israel of condemning the remaining hostages to death, with at least four senior Hamas officials reportedly killed in the bombardment.

Despite this, no Hamas retaliation was reported several hours later, suggesting efforts to restore the truce.

Photo: AP.

The violence, which escalated during Ramadan, has raised concerns about the fate of Israeli hostages and further destruction in Gaza, which has already endured significant humanitarian suffering.

The conflict, ongoing since October 2023, has claimed tens of thousands of Palestinian lives.

Humanitarian groups have warned that Gaza’s resources are running low after Israel cut off essential supplies two weeks ago.

Regional leaders, including Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, condemned Israel’s actions, accusing it of committing genocide in Gaza. Meanwhile, the US has placed blame on Hamas for rejecting efforts to extend the ceasefire.

The conflict shows no sign of easing, with Israel and Hamas at an impasse over the terms for a second phase of the ceasefire, including the release of the remaining hostages and Israel’s military withdrawal from Gaza.

Source: 9News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

Greece backs plan for migrant deportation hubs beyond EU borders

Greece is collaborating with Germany, the Netherlands, Austria and Denmark to establish deportation centres in third countries.

Greek constitutional law giant Antonis Manitakis dies aged 82

Prominent constitutional law professor and former minister Antonis Manitakis has passed away at the age of 82.

Greece tables bill for overseas postal voting

A draft law allowing Greeks living abroad to vote in parliamentary elections by post has been tabled by Interior Minister Thodoris Livanios.

You May Also Like

South Melbourne triumphs in men’s final, Heidelberg wins Shield in dramatic shootout

The Greek Community Cup 2025 concluded with two thrilling finals, showcasing the passion and quality of community football at Warner Reserve.

Nick Kyrgios fuming as world No.1 Jannik Sinner avoids doping ban

Nick Kyrgios condemned the International Tennis Integrity Agency for clearing Jannik Sinner after testing positive for doping twice.

Huge fire breaks out in Samos refugee camp

An alarm sounded in Samos after 4am today, as a fire broke out in the reception and identification center of the refugee camp in Vathi.