Italy’s foreign minister expresses doubts over feasibility of EastMed pipeline

·

Italy’s foreign minister on Saturday expressed concerns about the long-term feasibility of a pipeline project between Greece, Cyprus and Israel to ship gas to Europe.

“It is obvious that the EastMed pipeline project proposed by Greece will not be an option in the medium and long-term compared to other projects, when its cost and the construction process are taken into consideration,” Luigi Di Maio told Turkey’s Anadolu Agency.

“I believe that this infrastructure, which can play a positive role in diversifying European resources, must prove that it can attract the necessary capital for its construction and it can be economically sustainable,” di Maio said.

The cost of the installation from the eastern Mediterranean to Italy is estimated at 6 billion euros ($7.4 billion).

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, his Greek counterpart Kyriakos Mitsotakis and Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades joined the ceremony at which their respective energy ministers signed the deal in Athens earlier this month.

The 2,000-kilometer (1,200-mile) pipeline will be able to transfer nine to 12 billion cubic meters a year from offshore gas reserves between Israel and Cyprus to Greece, and then on to Italy and other southeastern European countries.

The discovery of hydrocarbon reserves in the eastern Mediterranean has sparked a scramble for the energy riches and a dispute between Cyprus and Turkey, which has occupied the north of the Mediterranean island since 1974 in response to a coup sponsored by the Greek military junta.

The EastMed project is expected to make Cyprus, Greece and Israel key links in Europe’s energy supply chain and aims to stymie Turkey’s effort to extend its control to the eastern Mediterranean. Turkey is vehemently opposed to the pipeline.

Turkey will start exploring for gas in the eastern Mediterranean this year, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed Thursday, after signing a maritime deal with Libya.

“We will start search and drilling activities as soon as possible in 2020 after issuing licenses for the areas,” Erdogan said during a two-hour speech in the capital.

He added that Turkey’s seismic exploration vessel Oruc Reis would soon be deployed.

Ankara angered neighboring countries in the Mediterranean with an agreement signed with the Tripoli government in November, which claimed extensive areas of the sea for Turkey.

Greece says the deal fails to take into account the island of Crete, while Turkey has already upset Cyprus by sending ships to search for oil and gas off the divided island.

Erdogan said it was “no longer legally possible” for any search and drilling activities or a pipeline without Libya or Turkey’s approval.

Turkey and Libya also signed a security deal in November which was followed by the deployment of Turkish forces in the north African country.

While Turkey supports the UN-recognised government of Premier Fayez al-Sarraj, countries such as Egypt and the United Arab Emirates back Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar in his assault against Tripoli.

Sourced via The Times of Israel.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Mayor Jim Grivas responds to St Haralambos Greek Festival parking fine backlash

Mayor of Manningham, Jim Grivas, has acknowledged community anger over parking fines issued during the recent St Haralambos Greek Festival.

Alex Hawke dumped from Liberal Party frontbench in Angus Taylor reshuffle

Alex Hawke has been relegated to the backbench after new Opposition Leader Angus Taylor unveiled a revamped shadow cabinet.

Paul Nicolaou calls scaled-back Cutaway trading hours ‘disappointing’

Business Sydney's Paul Nicolaou criticised the NSW government’s decision to wind back plans for 24-hour trading at The Cutaway venue.

Athens University opens Cyprus branch in higher education milestone

The establishment of a Cyprus branch of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens marks “a milestone.”

Stefanos Tsitsipas sets up Medvedev showdown in Doha

Stefanos Tsitsipas advanced to the next round of the ATP Doha tournament with a composed 6-4, 6-4 win over Moez Echargui.

You May Also Like

Damon Hanlin contributing to the growth Xanthi FC in Greece

Damon Hanlin has guided the development of Sydney Olympic for years, being a strong board member and, more importantly, loyal fan of the club.

Greek PM meets with former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair

Greece's Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, met with former British Prime Minister Tony Blair in Athens on Tuesday afternoon.

Bill Papas the focus of investigation by Australian current affairs show

A joint investigation by 60 Minutes Australia, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age has shed light on Bill Papas' new life in Greece.