Italian authorities approve extradition of murder suspect Perry Kouroumblis to Australia

·

The Italian government has approved Australia’s request to extradite Perry Kouroumblis – the prime suspect in the gruesome Easey Street murders in Melbourne.

The Australian-Greek national is wanted by Victorian police in connection with the murders of Susan Bartlett and Suzanne Armstrong on Easey Street, Collingwood, in 1977.

Ms Armstrong and Ms Bartlett were stabbed to death in their share house. Ms Armstrong’s 16-month-old son was found alone in his cot in the aftermath.

At the time of the murders, Kouroumblis, then 17, was found with a knife in his car, which he claimed to have found on railway tracks near the crime scene.

In 2017, Kouroumblis left Australia for Greece after being asked for a DNA sample by cold case investigators. He couldn’t be extradited due to Greece’s statute of limitations.

That law doesn’t exist in Italy, which is how the 65-year-old was arrested in Rome when he arrived two months ago. He remains in Regina Coeli prison, known as one of the city’s toughest.

Former Collingwood man Perry Kouroumblis detained over 1977 Easey St cold case
The Italian government has approved Australia’s request to extradite Perry Kouroumblis – the prime suspect in the gruesome Easey Street murders in Melbourne.

No charges have been laid in relation to the case and Kouroumblis maintains his innocence.

His lawyer, Serena Tucci, said on Monday that Italy’s Justice Minister, Carlo Nordio, had agreed to Australia’s extradition request, and she had informed Kouroumblis of the decision.

“He’s lucid. He’s very attentive to what’s being told to him, and he’s prepared to face his trial in Australia,” Ms Tucci told the ABC.

Before extradition can take place, judge Aldo Morgigni from the Rome Court of Appeal, must grant final approval under an executive order. Ms Tucci said she expected the judge to make a decision on the case this week.

Once the extradition had been approved, Australian authorities have 15 days to transfer him from Rome to Melbourne.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Australia gifts Greek PM commemorative coin marking 85 years since Battle of Crete

Australia has presented Greece with a commemorative coin marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Greece and Crete.

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

You May Also Like

Giannis Antetokounmpo is being marketed to overtake LeBron James as the NBA’s most famous player

Antetokounmpo is so serious about basketball, he didn’t sound entirely thrilled about receiving the most fan votes (more than 5.9 million) among Eastern Conference...

Greek wax museum celebrates reopening with new Tom Hanks sculpture

The Wax Museum Theodoros Kokkinidis will welcome their 31st wax model to friends and visitors, who from today took his place in the main living room of the museum.

Self-care and support: Greek Australians share how they maintain good mental health

Most people today forget about prioritising one of the most important things that affects their day-to-day lives – their mental health.