Israel’s Foreign Minister calls on NATO to expel Turkey

·

Israel’s foreign minister called for NATO to expel Turkey on Monday after President Tayyip Erdogan suggested his country might enter Israel, as it had previously entered Libya and Nagorno-Karabakh.

“In light of Turkish President Erdogan’s threats to invade Israel and his dangerous rhetoric, Foreign Minister Israel Katz instructed diplomats… to urgently engage with all NATO members, calling for the condemnation of Turkey and demanding its expulsion from the regional alliance,” the ministry said.

Erdogan, a vocal critic of Israel’s war against Hamas in Gaza, stated in a speech on Sunday: “We must be very strong so that Israel can’t do these ridiculous things to Palestine. Just like we entered Karabakh, just like we entered Libya, we might do similar to them.”

Turkey's Recep Tayyip Erdogan suffered an historic electoral defeat. Photo timesofisrael.
Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Photo: timesofisrael.com.

In response on Monday, Israel’s Foreign Minister Israel Katz said, “Erdogan is following in the footsteps of Saddam Hussein and threatening to attack Israel. He should remember what happened there and how it ended.”

“Turkey, which hosts the Hamas headquarters responsible for terrorist attacks against Israel, has become a member of the Iranian axis of evil, alongside Hamas, Hezbollah, and the Houthis in Yemen,” Katz added.

Once close regional allies, relations between Israel and Turkey have been deteriorating for more than a decade. Bilateral trade, despite many diplomatic storms, had reached billions of dollars annually, but Turkey recently announced it would halt all bilateral trade with Israel until the war ends and aid can flow unhindered into Gaza.

Source: Reuters.

READ MORE: Cyprus and the EU react to Hezbollah war threat

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Fishermen see hope return amid Greece’s trawler ban

Greece’s remote Fournoi archipelago, rich in coral reefs and marine biodiversity, is set to benefit from a government ban on bottom trawling.

Cr Steve Stefanopoulos hits back at ‘animal killer’ claims as Save-A-Dog scheme saved

Stonnington Councillor Steve Stefanopoulos OAM has strongly defended the council and his fellow councillors during a heated meeting.

‘Underdog candidacy’: Drew Pavlou on running for Senate at the next federal election

Drew Pavlou has opened up about his mental health and running for the Senate at the next federal election.