Inquest continues after death of Nick Panagiotopoulos

·

The inquest into the death of Nick Panagiotopoulos, 47, who suffered a cardiac arrest in October 2021 after a 16-minute wait for an ambulance operator, continues to examine what action was taken as call-answering performance deteriorated in the preceding weeks.

According to WA Today, Christopher Mercovich, a senior performance monitoring officer who spoke at the inquest on Monday on behalf of the Inspector-General, argued that IGEM [Inspector-General for Emergency Management] should allow Victoria’s triple-zero agency, then known as the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority, some leniency to improve its performance.

Witness Christopher Mercovich, from the Inspector-General for Emergency Management, leaves the Coroners Court on Monday.CREDIT:JAMES ROSS
Witness Christopher Mercovich, from the Inspector-General for Emergency Management, leaves the Coroners Court on Monday. Photo: James Ross.

“It is not the role of IGEM to come over the top of ESTA, or any other organisation, and interfere in their operations in the middle of a global pandemic,” Mercovich said.

“At this point in October [last year], our priority was to make the minister aware how performance had dropped off.”

IGEM’s review, published in September 2022, found that “ESTA simply did not have sufficient ambulance call-takers to meet incredible demand”, partly because it had not been properly funded by the government.

The inquest, presided over by coroner Catherine Fitzgerald, was informed at an earlier hearing that Nick Panagiotopoulos‘ death was caused by a considerable triple-zero answering delay and that if he had gotten early treatment, his chances of survival would have been good.

Source: WA Today

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Greek Australians named among South Australia’s top young criminal lawyers

Adelaide barristers Alex Panousakis and Christina Chrisakis have been listed among South Australia’s top young criminal lawyers.

Morrison Government commits $452 million to aged care sector after Royal Commission findings

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the govt. was providing an additional $452.2 million in funding to address issues in the aged care sector.

Greece boosts forces at Evros as it braces for new migrant crisis

Greek authorities have confirmed the defence of its border with Turkey will be boosted, amid expectations migrants may renew their attempts to reach Europe.