Grieving families and protestors call for justice one year after deadly Tempi train crash

·

As the one-year anniversary of Greece’s most deadly rail disaster approached, tens of thousands of men, women and young people flooded the streets of Athens, Thessaloniki, and many other parts of Greece on Wednesday, February 28 to protest.

Ekathimerini reported that many of the protestors rallied as they believed the Greek government has attempted to cover up who was responsible and cover up the details of what happened at Tempi last year.

protest
People protesting in front of riot police outside Parliament in Greece. Photo: AP News.

The tragic incident involved two trains colliding head-on at Tempi in central Greece on February 28, 2023. It left 57 people dead, which were mostly young university students heading back home from a long weekend.

train crash
The two trains collided at Tempe in Central Greece. Photo: AP news.

Amongst the protestors gathered on Wednesday outside of Parliament at Athens’ Syntagma Square were relatives of the victims.

One of the fathers, Pavlos Aslanidis, who lost his 27-year-old son in the crash, attended. Holding photographs of his son, and the crash site, he described that the only thing they could find of his son to put in his coffin were his ashes.

Protestors in Athens
Protestors in Athens. Photo: Al Jazeera.

“We are here to thank all the people who came to commemorate our children, who are in Heaven,” Mr Aslanidis said.

“We are making this effort so no more children are lost; we are here to save the next ones. We are a group of parents chasing the case and they are blocking our way.”

protestors
More protestors. Photo: Ap News.

As well as the protests, churches around Greece also rang their bells 57 times on Wednesday, and students wrote the names of the dead in red on the ground out the front of the Parliament, where riot police surrounded.

Black balloons and a banner that said “Murderers” also hung in front of Parliament.

riot police
The riot police. Photo: Al Jazeera.

One other man, Christoforos Konstantinidis, who lost his mother Vasiliki Florou in the train crash, was also present and made comment.

“I’m not sure how far we still are from the truth, but I know that we will get there no matter how difficult it is,” Mr Konstantinidis said.

“We take strength from the protests across Greece.”

Many protestors also gathered in front of the headquarters of Hellenic Train, which was the company responsible for the trains. People were seen spray painting “Our lives” on the asphalt as riot police vans and a water cannon stood by the company’s entrance on Syngrou Avenue.

Brief clashes were also reported between police and protesters both in Athens and Thessaloniki.

Memorial service at the crash site
The memorial service for the 57 lives lost at the train crash site. Photo: Alexandros Avramidis

People displayed candles, flowers, photographs, and a banner reading “A crime without punishment at Tempe, the souls demand justice” outside the Parliament.

Greece’s Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis expressed that those responsible would be held accountable in a televised video.

“As a government and political system, we must acknowledge the collective failure behind this tragedy,” Mr Mitsotakis said.

“As a prime minister, as a citizen and as a father, I share the country’s grief.”

The former transport and infrastructure minister Kostas A Karamanlis, who was serving during the time of the crash and resigned after it took place also released a statement.

“One year later, the memory of all of us cannot escape from the unspeakable tragedy in Tempe,” Mr Karamanlis said.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Greek Australian poet wins prestigious Patrick White Literary Award

Greek Australian poet Π.O. has won the $20,000 Patrick White Literary Award in recognition of his contribution to Australian literature.

Dimitra Pavlou’s tennis dream to become a world-class player

The Greek Herald speaks exclusively with Dimitra Pavlou ahead of her participation in the Australia Open junior tournament.

WA marks 51 years since Cyprus invasion with solemn memorial at Kings Park

A solemn memorial service and wreath-laying ceremony was held this year at the State War Memorial in Kings Park, Perth.