Greek Minister addresses concerns around slow service at Consulates in Australia

·

During his week-long visit to Australia, Greece’s Alternate Interior Minister Theodoros Livanios met with business, political and faith leaders to discuss matters affecting the local Greek diaspora.

Along his travels, the Greek minister also connected with the local Greek communities in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra to discuss how Greeks residing abroad can now postal vote in the upcoming European elections following recent reform by the Greek government.

In a meeting in Sydney on Tuesday, March 26 with multicultural media, including The Greek Herald, Mr Livanios delved into the postal vote reform more deeply, and also responded to recent concerns around slow service and staff shortages at Greek Consulates in Melbourne and Sydney.

theodoros livanios greek minister consulates2
Greece’s Alternate Interior Minister met with multicultural media on Tuesday, March 26.

On the postal vote, the Minister explained the registration procedure and stressed that all valid Greek passport holders are eligible to participate. He also said he was optimistic more Greeks in Australia would register to postal vote in the European elections compared to numbers from Greece’s national elections last year.

With regards to Greek Consulates in Melbourne and Sydney, Mr Livanios responded to a question by The Greek Herald asking what the Greek government plans on doing to offer support in the face of long service delays and staff shortages.

“Hopefully we will have two answers…” he said.

“The first one is that we continue the digitisation of all procedures so we can reduce the number of people who are visiting the Consulate General, and the other is to find, on a contract basis, local people and hire them in order for them to take care of the backlog of applications.”

theodoros livanios greek minister consulates2
Minister Livanios next to the Consul General of Greece in Sydney, Yannis Mallikourtis.

The Greek Community of Melbourne (GCM) first pointed out the problem of insufficient staffing at the Greek Consulate in Melbourne in a letter to Greece’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs last month, highlighting the inconvenience suffered by the Greek expatriates of Victoria for the slow processing of various cases, as there are only four employees at the Consulate.

The letter later received the backing of Kyriakos Velopoulos’ Greek Solution party, who submitted a question to Greece’s Parliament on February 16, calling on the Greek Foreign Minister Giorgos Gerapetritis to address the GCM’s concerns.

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

Amaretti: A sweet treat from My Greek Kitchen

Niki Louca from My Greek Kitchen shares her favourite recipe for Amaretti (a bitter-sweet flavored macaroon) with The Greek Herald.

The Italian occupation and bombardment of Corfu

In 1923, a year after Mussolini rose to power fascist Italy revealed its expansionist ambitions in the Balkans.

You May Also Like

Five Greek clubs to play in Round 32 of the Australia Cup

From August 4th, five Australia Hellenic clubs will be competing against A-League sides in round 32 of the Australian Cup.

Sydney’s Greek community pays respect to the heroines of Zalongo

The Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a commemoration event to mark the 220th anniversary of the Dance of Zalongo. 

EU condemns Turkey’s threat to launch missile attack on Greece

The European Union condemned the recent threats made by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to launch a missile strike on Athens, Greece.