Greek government axes child charity’s leadership amid sexual abuse claims

·

The Greek government said on Monday it will replace Ark of the World’s administration amid a barrage of sexual abuse allegations against the well-known children’s charity.

The decision was made at a meeting chaired by Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis focused on ensuring the protection of children at the charity (known in Greece as Kivotos tou Kosmou) for the judicial investigation into allegations of bodily and sexual abuse.

“The allegations are serious, particularly as they concern the extremely sensitive issue of children that have been removed from their family environment,” Greek government spokesman Giannis Oikonomou said after the meeting.

Greek government spokesman Giannis Oikonomou spoke after the meeting.

“These allegations must be fully investigated… The case is in the hands of justice.”

So far, there are three allegations of sexual abuse and four of beatings. The Ark of the World, which hosts scores of children in five facilities, has denied the allegations.

Source: AP News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Greek government rejects claims of a cover-up linked to fatal Tempe train crash

The Greek government has strongly denied accusations of a cover-up related to the deadly train crash at Tempe on February 28, 2023.

Greek Australian searches for missing twin sisters with help from The Eftychia Project

Arthur Dangas believes his twin sisters were taken in an illegal adoption scheme in Cold War Greece. 55 years later and he tells TGH how he's one step closer to finding them.

COVID-19 death toll rises to 430 after 6 lives lost in Greece

The official death toll has increased to 430 after six people tragically lost their lives with the virus in the past 24-hour period.