Greek court sentences ‘illegal’ Syrian refugee to 52 years in prison

·

A Syrian refugee has been sentenced to 52 years in prison for crossing into Greece from Turkey last year, the Independent reported on Thursday.

A Mytiline court on the Greek island of Lesbos announced the decision last Friday on KS, the refugee identified only by his initials, ruling that his crossing was “illegal.” 

According to campaigners, KS had crossed from Turkey to the Greek island of Chios by boat with his family, including three young children, and dozens of others in early March 2020.

The family had originally sought refuge in Turkey after fleeing the civil war in Syria. However, KS claims that he had refused to participate in the Turkish military operation in Libya and was briefly imprisoned as a result.

Immigrants wait at a detention center in the village of Fylakio near the the Greek-Turkish border. Credit: AFP/Getty Images

Following his release, he and his family sought to escape to Greece, traveling to Chios, the closest island by boat, only to be denied the right to asylum upon arrival due to a controversial policy introduced earlier that month.

Caught up in the chaos at the Greek-Turkish border, KS was one of many to be hit with “illegal entry” charges.

However, he was also accused of “facilitating illegal entry” and causing a “shipwreck “after Greek authorities accused him of having been at the helm of the boat that his brought his family and as many as 40 others to Greek shores.

“They want to show people to stay away from Greece and to criminalise people who are fleeing,” Johannes Körner, spokesperson for You Can’t Evict Solidarity, a campaign supporting asylum seekers in Greece, told The Independent.

As a result, he said, KS “will be sitting in prison for nothing… for just fleeing Turkey and fleeing Syria”.

“It’s insane,” Körner said. “It’s crazy that he’s been given such a long sentence”.

Sourced By: The Independent

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Iran warns of retaliation as protest death toll rises

Iran has warned it will retaliate if attacked by the United States as activists report hundreds of protesters have been killed.

Walk Down Memory Lane: The iconic Victor Harbor Messinian picnics

It was Sunday, January 31, 1965 when the first Messinian Association’s picnic, took place at the little coastal town of Victor Harbor in South Australia.

Contiki lures young Australians to Europe by covering passport costs for 2026

Europe is set to benefit from a surge in Australian youth travel as Contiki launches a promotion reimbursing the full AUD 412 cost of an Australian passport.