Greece’s Orthodox Church rejects criticism of Communion safety following Bishop’s death

·

Greece’s Orthodox Church on Monday condemned as misplaced and “neurotic” criticism of the pursuit of Holy Communion which has been banned in the presence of the public during virus lockdown curbs.

The Holy Synod, the church’s ruling body, said it had cooperated with the state from the beginning of the crisis and complies with health measures.

The church insists it is impossible for Covid-19 or any disease to be transmitted through Communion, the tradition of handing out bread soaked in wine from the same chalice.

Doctors and experts say the virus can be transmitted through saliva.

Priests wearing face masks to protect against the spread of the coronavirus, attend the funeral of senior clergyman Ioannis of Lagadas. (AP Photo/Giannis Papanikos)

The government this month ordered the suspension of all services at all places of worship, for all religions in the presence of the faithful. The services continue to take place, but only with the priests who perform them.

The synod statement follows the virus death over the weekend of a senior Orthodox cleric in Thessaloniki, northern Greece, Orthodox cleric in Thessaloniki, northern Greece.

It was a response to the “ironic comments” made by some media regarding his faith in Communion, “as if they had evidence on the cause of the transmission of the disease”, the synod said.

“Aspiring public opinion leaders neurotically insist on engaging exclusively in Holy Communion and impose unscientific correlations regarding the spread of coronavirus … even opine on issues of faith without having any knowledge or competence in the area of theology”, the statement adds.

Priests wearing face masks to protect against the spread of the coronavirus, attend the funeral of senior clergyman Ioannis of Lagadas. (AP Photo/Giannis Papanikos)

“Since the democratic state guarantees religious freedom, they do not have the right to demand that the state ban holy communion as ‘unhealthy’ just because they themselves choose not to believe.”

The suspension of services was also put in place during the first lockdown when churches remained closed during Easter.

After lockdown, the churches resumed the tradition and a number of politicians from the ruling conservative New Democracy party, including ministers, were photographed receiving the Holy Communion.

Last week, the Holy Synod asked the government to allow church services for 10 days during Christmas, with strict adherence to all the necessary health precautions.

Sourced By: AFP

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Hundreds of surfers honour shark attack victim Mercury Psillakis with paddle out

Hundreds of surfers gathered at Long Reef Beach on Sydney’s Northern Beaches to honour Mercury Psillakis, who was killed in a shark attack.

Honour your family’s migration on Kytherian panel at Australian National Maritime Museum

Kytherian Association of Australia and Australian National Maritime Museum to honour Kytherian migrants on National Monument to Migration.

Kyrgios through to third round at Wimbledon, Sakkari kicked out

Nick Kyrgios advanced to the third round after beating world No. 77 Gianluca Mager while Maria Sakkari succumbed to unseeded Shelby Rodgers.