Villages evacuated as winds fan two new blazes outside of Athens

·

Fanned by strong winds, two new big wildfires erupted on Monday in hard-hit Greece, triggering evacuation alerts for villages southeast and northwest of Athens — only days after blazes consumed large tracts of forest north of the Greek capital.

Greece has been roiled by hundreds of wildfires this month, on the heels of its most severe heat wave in decades, which left its forests tinder dry. Other Mediterranean countries — Turkey, Italy, Algeria and Spain among them — have suffered similar problems.

A wildfire burns next to a house in the village of Synterina, near Athens, on 16 August. Photo: Angelos Tzortzinis/AFP/Getty Images.

The worst of the two blazes that erupted on Monday was in the Vilia area northwest of the Greek capital, which triggered an evacuation alert for eight villages. Greece’s minister for public order, Michalis Chrysochoidis, said the flames were coursing through a densely forested area with scattered villages, none of which were in direct danger.

“We are trying to stop the fire from spreading” towards the nearby large village of Vilia, he said.

A volunteer operates during a wildfire in Siderina village about 55 kilometers (34 miles) south of Athens, Greece, Monday, Aug. 16, 2021. Photo: AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis.

That blaze was being fought by 240 firefighters — including 143 from Poland — supported by eight water-dropping planes and nine helicopters.

Another fire broke out earlier in the Keratea region southeast of Athens, burning shrubland and threatening a national park in the Sounion area. Three communities were ordered evacuated. Some residents desperately drenched their homes, while volunteers with hoses and branches helped fight the fires. More than 100 firefighters, eight water-dropping planes and 11 helicopters were striving to contain the blaze, which appeared to be on the wane by evening.

Volunteers try to extinguish a wildfire burning in the village of Markati, near Athens, on 16 August. Photo: Alkis Konstantinidis/Reuters.

“Right now the situation there has improved, there are scattered active fires within the perimeter and efforts are continuing to contain them,” Chrysohoidis said.

Local mayor Dimitris Loukas told Greek television that authorities were investigating reports of arson. He said residents had seen someone in a car setting a dumpster on fire.

Source: AP News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

You May Also Like

Emily Bobis named finalist in the NSW Women of The Year Awards 2022

Emily Bobis, who is the co-founder of Compass IoT, has been named a finalist in the NSW Women of The Year Awards for 2022.

Greek community in Australia raises more than $40,000 for Thessaly flood victims

Four Pan-Thessalian associations from NSW came together on Friday, February 3, to raise funds for the flood victims of Thessaly, Greece.

Alex Agelopoulos: Alleged Melbourne pitch invader banned from soccer games

Alex Agelopoulos accused of injuring a player during a pitch invasion in Melbourne with a bucket has faced Melbourne Magistrates’ Court.