UK rejects UNESCO plea to repatriate Parthenon Marbles

·

The UK government has rejected UNESCO’s calls that it reconsider repatriating the Parthenon Marbles. 

UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Commission for the Return of Cultural Property to Countries of Origin (ICPRCP) called for the repatriation and an investigation into the acquisition of the marbles during a meeting in Paris last week.

“We disagree with UNESCO’s decision,” a UK government spokesperson tells Ta Nea. 

“Our position is clear – the Parthenon Sculptures were acquired legally in accordance with the law at the time.”

The spokesperson shifted the responsibility to the trustees of the British Museum where the marbles currently reside. 

“The British Museum operates independently of the government and free from political interference. All decisions relating to collections are taken by the Museum’s trustees,” the spokesperson added.

A British Museum spokesperson told Ta Nea that “the Parthenon Sculptures are an integral part of (the Museum’s collection) story and a vital element in this interconnected world collection”.

The ICPRCP says Greece has made “legitimate and rightful” requests for their repatriation.

They say “the case has an intergovernmental character and, therefore, the obligation to return the Parthenon Sculptures lies squarely on the UK Government “.

The UK has consistently rejected Greece’s calls for talks over repatriation, with Prime Minister Boris Johnson defending the legality of the museum’s ownership of the marbles in March.

The marbles date back to the fifth century BC and are regarded as culturally significant. 

Lord Elgin removed the marbles in 1801 while as British ambassador to the Ottoman Empire. 

Greece has long argued the reunification of the marbles is integral to understanding the artworks in the context of the temple they once embellished. 

Source: Art Forum

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Thousands bid emotional farewell to beloved Father Nektarios Zorbalas

Thousands of faithful gathered in Sydney over two days to farewell beloved Greek Orthodox priest and humanitarian, Father Nektarios Zorbalas.

O Thanasis in Athens named among top restaurants in the world

Well known for its juicy souvlakia, O Thanasis, located in the heart of Athens, has been ranked at number 42 on the Taste Atlas List.

Anthony Koutoufides visits Melbourne’s Greek Centre

Greek Community of Melbourne President Bill Papastergiadis OAM has warmly welcomed Anthony Koutoufides to the Greek Centre today.