Three dead, dozens missing as refugee boat sinks off Greek coast

·

Greek authorities have ramped up a sea-and-air search and rescue operation in the Aegean Sea after a migrant smuggling vessel sank, leaving at least three people dead and dozens reported missing.

The coast guard on Wednesday said 12 people, all believed to be from Iraq, were rescued from an inflatable dinghy off the island of Folegandros in the southern Cyclades, 180km southeast of Athens.

The bodies of three unidentified men were recovered from the sea.

The survivors said they had been on a larger boat that took on water and sank overnight. Most said there were originally 32 people on the boat, but one told authorities there were about 50.

Three dead, dozens missing as refugee boat sinks off Greek coast.

The coast guard said a navy frigate joined four coast guard vessels, eight merchant ships, three smaller private vessels, three military helicopters and a military transport plane taking part in the search and rescue operation as night approached.

“The survivors made it onto a dinghy that was tethered to the (bigger) vessel. Only two of them were wearing life jackets,” Coast Guard spokesman, Nikos Kokkalas, told state-run ERT television.

“We always presume the worst-case scenario, in this case that 50 people were on the boat.”

The coast guard said the operation began on Tuesday night after it received information that a vessel carrying migrants had suffered engine failure and later began taking on water south of Folegandros.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

‘Hope political instability finally ends’: Greek PM reacts to Liz Truss’ resignation

Liz Truss made history this morning when she resigned from office, becoming the shortest-serving British Prime Minister after 44 days.

South Australian MP found not guilty of assaulting fellow MP Connie Bonaros

Sam Duluk MP is a drunken pest who owes fellow politician, Connie Bonaros, an apology but is not guilty of assaulting her, a court has ruled.

‘It’s been challenging’: Maria Routsis on the ‘crisis’ facing Australia’s childcare sector

New figures from the Education Department show how Australia's childcare sector is emerging from the Omicron wave in "crisis,"