Samos residents left homeless after earthquake to be housed in containers

·

Residents of Samos, who were left homeless by last week’s destructive 6.7 magnitude earthquake, will be temporarily housed in containers, following a decision by Minister of Migration and Asylum, Notis Mitarakis.

In a statement, the ministry said on Tuesday that containers from the Zervos migrant reception facility on Samos were being transferred to house the residents whose homes were deemed unsafe.

The ministry said it had so far provided 20 tents, 500 sleeping bags, 1,000 blankets and 265 beds to affected residents. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees sent 100 tents to the island.

A total of 300 buildings on the island have so far been found to be temporarily unsafe to live in during a series of inspections by civil engineers after Friday’s quake.

Samos rises 18-25 centimeters above waterline after earthquake:

Scientists discovered that the island of Samos rose 18-25 cm after Friday’s powerful earthquake. Credit: AMNA.

A team of Greek scientists from the School of Geology and Geoenvironment at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens went to Samos after the earthquake in order to survey the impact it had on both the island’s topography and the state of its buildings.

According to their findings, the altitude at both the northern and southern parts of the island had permanently elevated 18 to 25 cm from its pre-earthquake elevation, due the tectonic plate activity which caused the earthquake.

The elevation change can clearly be seen in rocks along the shoreline, showing several inches of algae which had been beneath the surface of the water, now above sea level.

greek film festival sydney new

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Sydney Olympic FC ready to face off against Sydney United as NSW NPL season returns Feb. 27

Head Coach and Olympic Hall of Fame Legend Ante Juric said the players have enjoyed a great pre-season and are ready for the 2021 season start.

St Nectarios Parish Burwood receives $5,000 government grant for The Cottage Kitchen

The Cottage Kitchen, which was launched by St Nectarios Burwood last year, has received a second $5,000 Multicultural NSW grant.

Cypriot Australian Dr Costas Costa on his Order of Australia Medal (OAM)

Dr Costas Costa is a general practitioner at Sydney's Hurlstone Park Medical Centre who was honoured on the Queen’s Birthday Honours list.