Hundreds gather to pay their respects to Mikis Theodorakis as his body lies in state

·

Hundreds of people, some carrying flowers, gathered on Monday at Athens Cathedral to pay their final respects to Greek composer and politician, Mikis Theodorakis, who was an integral part of the Greek political and musical scene for decades.

Mourners sang his songs, while a German composer and former associate of the legendary Greek artist, Henning Zierock, performed iconic melodies on his guitar in an impromptu concert.

Theodorakis, who died on Thursday at the age of 96, is lying in state in a cathedral chapel for three days ahead of his burial on the southern island of Crete. His body arrived on Monday after a nearly two-hour delay amid a dispute over burial details.

READ MORE: Legendary Greek composer, Mikis Theodorakis, to be buried in Crete.

Over the weekend, his family reportedly lifted their objections to him being buried on Crete in accordance with his last wishes. A court had temporarily halted burial plans pending a resolution of the dispute.

Theodorakis’ daughter had said earlier that he would be buried near Corinth in the village of Vrahati, where he maintained a holiday home. But a 2013 letter Theodorakis had written to the mayor of the town of Chania in Crete was made public, in which the composer said he wanted to be buried in the nearby cemetery of Galatas, despite his family’s disagreement.

READ MORE: Tributes flow for famed composer Mikis Theodorakis.

Theodorakis was as well-known in Greece for his political activism as for his musical career. He penned a wide range of work, from somber symphonies to popular TV and film scores, including for “Serpico” and “Zorba the Greek.”

He is also remembered for his opposition to the military junta that ruled Greece from 1967 to 1974, a time during which he was persecuted and jailed and his music outlawed.

READ MORE: Legendary Greek composer, Mikis Theodorakis, dies aged 96.

Greece’s Communist Party said over the weekend that Theodorakis’ body will lie in state beginning on Monday, and a “farewell ceremony” will be held Wednesday, before the late composer is flown to Crete. The church service and burial will be on Thursday.

Theodorakis’ body will lie in state from 10 am to 7 pm on Tuesday and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday.

READ MORE: Greek communities across Australia mourn the loss of the legendary Mikis Theodorakis.

Source: AP News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

Trump targets Australia’s beef trade in new tariff announcement

Experts are warning of rising prices for American consumers as US President Donald Trump announces sweeping reciprocal tariffs.

The Greek passport (for Aussies) debacle: Part One

For quite a while now, I've been hearing complaints from Greek Australians about long delays in obtaining a Greek passport.

Harry Mavrolefteros’ First Education wins ‘Business of the Decade’ at National Awards

First Education, founded by Harry Mavrolefteros, was awarded 'Business of the Decade' at the 2025 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

Little Legs Foundation sets monopoly World Record in memory of Alegra Vasiliou

The Little Legs Foundation officially set a new Guinness World Record for the most people playing Monopoly in a single venue.

You May Also Like

Australian Open First Round: Tsitsipas beats Caruso and Sakkari’s match is postponed

Stefanos Tsitsipas burst into the Australian Open second round on Monday night by sweeping past Italian Stefano Caruso 6-0, 6-2, 6-3 in one hour and 43 minutes...

Adelaide man charged after alleged attempt to smuggle $20m of cocaine from Greece

A South Australian man could face a life sentence in jail after being charged over an alleged plot to smuggle 20kg of cocaine from Greece.

Flood crisis: Rescues in northern NSW resume, Queenslanders wait for waters to recede

There are concerns for people missing in Queensland floodwaters as the intense deluge now threatens lives in northern NSW.