Health minister affirms Greece shielded against coronavirus

·

The Greek authorities have taken every measure to protect the country against the spread of the new coronavirus, Health Minister Vassilis Kikilias said on Monday, as the death toll in neighbouring Italy climbed to five.

“We have taken all the necessary precautions to safeguard the public’s health. We are organised and structured, and this is proved by the fact that we have successfully dealt with all suspicious cases so far,” Kilkilias told reporters in Athens, following a briefing of Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis on Sunday’s emergency meeting of health officials.

Apart from Kikilias, Monday’s briefing was also attended by the ministers of Education Niki Kerameus, Citizens’ Protection Michalis Chrysochoidis, Interior Takis Theodorikakos, State Giorgos Gerapetritis and Migration Notis Mitarakis, among other officials.

Kikilias said he briefed the prime minister on the latest developments concerning the virus, which surged in parts of Italy in recent days, promoting fears that it could spread to Greece.

He also appealed to the media to maintain a “serious” stance in its coverage of the outbreak by avoiding misinformation and fear-mongering.

“It is our duty to defend public health and this means we need to inform citizens in a serious and proper manner, through the proper channels,” he said.

Sunday’s emergency meeting of health officials introduced measures to bolster inspections at Greece’s entry points and particularly its western ports, which receive daily ferry traffic from Italy.

Kikilias added that 13 hospitals in different parts of the country are on standby to receive any suspicious cases and that special guidelines have been given to all hospitals, medical centers, paramedics, ambulance workers, port and airport officials, while the Health Ministry’s committee of experts on contagious diseases is also on standby.

The committee is headed by Athens University professor and infectious disease expert Dimitris Tsiodras, who is expected to hold a press conference on Monday afternoon. 

Sourced by: Ekatherimi

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Meet the new generation of Greek youth shaping the future of Hellenism in Canberra

The GOCCC Emerging Leaders (GEL) Committee 2025 is a hand-selected youth subcommittee made up of dedicated young individuals.

Hellenic Kids returns this month with three days of culture and fun

This April, children from Kindy to Year 6 are invited to dive into the Hellenic Kids Activities Program, running from 15 April to 17 April.

Coalition pledges $2 million to upgrade Heidelberg United Alexander FC facilities

The Coalition has recently announced a $2 million funding commitment to Heidelberg United Alexander Football Club.

HACCI National Federation holds online event on Greek-Australian trade relations

HACCI National Federation marked a milestone with its inaugural online event ‘Bridging Markets: Greece-Australia Trade Insights’ on March 20.

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

You May Also Like

Beyond the grill: Halloumi Festival’s message of celebration and resilience

Melbourne's annual Halloumi Festival at the Cypriot Community Hall on Saturday and Sunday wasn't just a celebration of grilled cheese.

Eleni Glouftsis on kicking through boundaries to become the AFL’s first female field umpire

“I just loved football and being part of the game.” In 2017, Eleni Glouftsis made AFL history as the first ever female field umpire.

Sandro releases music video of Cyprus’ 2020 Eurovision entry song ‘Running’

23-year-old Greek-German Sandro, also known as Alessandro H. Ruetten, released the music video for his song to be played at this year's Cyprus Eurovision entry.