Greece’s closure of minority schools in Western Thrace slammed by Turkey as ‘assimilation’

·

Greece’s Education Ministry recently shut down eight Turkish primary schools in Western Thrace where the Turkish minority is concentrated, citing low attendance. 

The move has been slammed by Turkey’s Foreign Ministry overnight as an attempt at “assimilation” and depriving the minority of the education of their choosing.

“This practice by Greece is a part of the assimilation and oppression efforts towards the Turkish minority in Western Thrace,” Turkish Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hami Aksoy said.

With the latest closures, the number of Turkish minority primary schools, of which there had been 231 until 25 years ago, had dropped to 115, he said.

In response, Greece’s Foreign Ministry issued a statement early this morning which said: “the educational choices of the Greek state… are made equally and without discrimination for all Greek citizens, always based solely on the quality of education provided and the interest of students.”

“It is at least paradoxical, if not funny, that Turkey indicates to Greece the need to respect minority rights,” the statement added.

“History will forever be the most objective witness to the systematic way in which Turkey has systematically eliminated all minorities in its territory during the twentieth century.”

Western Thrace’s Muslim-Turkish minority of around 150,000 people has long been an issue of contention between Ankara and Athens, with Turkey calling out Greece for what it calls a failure to grant full rights to the minority, including state denial of ethnic identity and restrictions on freedom of religion.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Major works begin to upgrade Kogarah Public School

Kogarah Public School is undergoing its largest transformation in more than a century, with the Minns Government announcing upgrades.

South Melbourne FC accepted into newly formulated Oceania Professional League

South Melbourne FC has been awarded a new licence to compete in the newly formulated Oceania Professional League, commencing in January 2026.

Sydney faithful to honour Father Nektarios Zorbalas at 40-day memorial

An outpouring of love continues to surround the life of Father Nektarios Zorbalas, with a 40-day memorial service to be held this Sunday.

Unity and emotion at the World Conference of Cyprus Diaspora

Unity and emotion marked the World Conference of Cyprus Diaspora in Nicosia, where diaspora voices reaffirmed their bond with Cyprus.

Channel Nine and reporter Josh Bavas hit back after Bob Katter MP outburst

Channel Nine has condemned federal MP Bob Katter’s behaviour after a fiery press conference where he threatened journalist Josh Bavas.

You May Also Like

Giannis Koutoulias on fighting to preserve history at the Museum of Asia Minor Culture

In the Museum of Asia Minor Culture, the Greeks in Asia Minor is revived through the relics and the people who keep history "alive."

Oakleigh grandfather’s 40-year lottery dream comes true with $1 million win

An Oakleigh man spotted his lottery numbers printed in the newspaper, revealing a $1 million Weekday Windfall win.

Roderick Beaton wins Runciman Award for biography on modern Greece

It is Beaton's record-breaking fourth time winning the award, one for each consecutive decade since the 1990s.