Greece: Talks with Turkey on eastern Med could restart soon

·

Greece is close to resuming talks with Turkey over maritime zones, government spokesman Stelios Petsas said on Monday, after Ankara this month recalled an oil and gas exploration vessel from the eastern Mediterranean in a move welcomed by Athens.

NATO members Turkey and Greece bitterly disagree over maritime jurisdiction and energy exploration rights in the eastern Mediterranean, based on conflicting views about the extent of their continental shelves.

Turkey infuriated Greece last month when it sent the Oruc Reis seismic survey vessel to the area. Ankara says the boat has now been recalled for routine maintenance.

Turkey’s research vessel, Oruc Reis, rear, anchored off the coast of Antalya on the Mediterranean, Turkey, Sunday, September 13, 2020. Photo: AP Photo/Burhan Ozbilici.

“We’re close to resuming exploratory talks, but how soon this will happen depends on both sides, on Greece and Turkey. The sentiment is good,” Petsas told reporters, adding that Ankara had also indicated its wish for a resumption of talks.

READ MORE: Turkey may resume talks with Greece, warns against EU sanctions.

The long-running discussions between Athens and Ankara on demarcating their maritime zones broke down in 2016. Greek media say they could resume as early as this week.

EU leaders are expected to evaluate the situation at a summit on September 24-25, though member states are divided over how best to proceed.

Turkey’s presidential spokesman said on Sunday that exploratory talks could resume but that threats of EU sanctions were not helpful.

Cyprus has pressed for sanctions against Turkey, angered by Ankara’s move last week to extend the operations of two vessels in Mediterranean waters off Cyprus until mid-October.

But, underscoring Greece’s milder tone following the withdrawal of the Oruc Reis, Petsas said on Monday the EU should examine ways to activate sanctions only if Turkey does not stick to its recent stance of de-escalation in the east Mediterranean.

U.S. Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, is also due to visit Greece this month. He has said the United States is “deeply concerned” about Turkey’s actions in the eastern Mediterranean and has urged a diplomatic end to the crisis.

READ MORE: Pompeo to Turkey: Immediately reduce tensions in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Source: Reuters.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Parliamentary first as FIFA Oceanic Professional League honoured in Victoria

A historic milestone for Australian and Pacific football was marked at the Victorian Parliament on Thursday, February 19.

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

You May Also Like

Sam Konstas turns focus to cancer awareness ahead of summer cricket

Australian cricket star Sam Konstas is using his platform off the field to honour his late grandfather as an ambassador for Pink Stumps Day.

Victorian Liberal Party releases plan to strengthen ties with Greek community

The Victorian Liberal Party has released its plan to strengthen ties with the local Greek community if re-elected this weekend.

George Kambosos Jr returns to Sydney: A fight for legacy and Greek pride

George Kambosos Jr is gearing up for his first Sydney fight since 2016, marking a significant moment in his career.