France confirms deal with Greece for six more Rafale jet fighters

·

France on Sunday confirmed that Greece had agreed to buy six more of its Rafale jets, bringing to 24 the number of French fighters sold to Athens for billions of euros.

“Excellent news: Greece has just announced its intention to acquire six additional Rafales. Together, we are working to build true European autonomy,” French Defence Minister, Florence Parly, tweeted.

Greece was the first European country to buy the combat jets made by Dassault Aviation.

In January, Athens placed an order for 18 of the planes, 12 of them second-hand, in a 2.5 billion euro deal aimed at boosting Greece’s defences faced with growing tensions with neighbouring Turkey.

The acquisition news was first announced by Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, on Saturday at the Thessaloniki International Fair.

READ MORE: Greece to boost military with 18 French Rafale jets in 2021.

One of the 18 planes already ordered by Greece.

“I announced the purchase of 18 Rafales. Soon there will be 24,” Mitsotakis said, adding that the first aircraft, a second-hand model from France’s own airforce, would be flying Greek colours “before the end of the year.”

France has struggled to find takers for its warplanes among its EU neighbours.

In May, Croatia became only the second European country to buy Rafales, opting for 12 previously used aircraft. Qatar, Egypt and India are Dassault’s biggest Rafale clients.

READ MORE: Greek armed forces mark delivery of the first of 18 French Rafale fighter jets.

Source: International Business Times.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

NZ Defence Minister praises enduring friendship forged on Crete in 1941

NZ Defence Minister Chris Penk has marked the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign.

You May Also Like

Oakleigh Grammar commemorates ANZAC Day at special assembly

Oakleigh Grammar has honoured ANZAC Day with a moving whole school assembly to commence Term Two of 2025.

Chris Lucas and Nik Pouloupatis join pushback against Victoria’s gas reforms

Prominent Melbourne restaurateurs Chris Lucas and Nik Pouloupatis have joined backlash against the Victorian government’s gas reforms.

Peter Dracos speaks out after brutal attack by neighbour in Melbourne’s Albert Park

Peter Dracos, 70, says he continues to suffer both physically and emotionally after a violent, premeditated attack by his neighbour.