Erdogan says Turkey ‘will not back down’ in east Med standoff

·

President Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday Turkey will not back down to threats of sanctions nor to incursions on its claimed territory in the Mediterranean Sea, where it is in a standoff with EU-member Greece over oil and gas exploration rights.

“We will never bow to banditry on our continental shelf. We will not back down against the language of sanctions and threats,” Erdogan said in the northeastern city of Rize.

Tensions between NATO members Greece and Turkey have risen in the past week after Turkey sent the Oruc Reis survey vessel, escorted by warships, to map out possible oil and gas drilling in territory over which both countries claim jurisdiction.

The search for oil and gas in disputed Mediterranean waters has pitted Turkey against Greece and the entire EU bloc. Photo: Yoruk Isik / Reuters.

Athens demanded the withdrawal of the ship after Greek military vessels shadowed the Oruc Reis, with Erdogan responding that he would not “succumb” to any attempts to “steal” the Turkish continental shelf.

The Oruc Reis, which is between Cyprus and the Greek island of Crete, will continue work until August 23, he added.

READ MORE: Turkey flexes military muscle near Kastellorizo as Greece calls the move ‘illegal.’

Relations between Greece and Turkey have long been fraught with tension. Disputes have ranged from boundaries of offshore continental shelves and airspace to the ethnically split island of Cyprus. In 1996, they almost went to war over ownership of uninhabited islets in the Aegean Sea.

European Union foreign ministers met via video conference on Friday and said Turkey’s naval movements would lead to a “heightened risk of dangerous incidents.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

OEEGA NSW delivers hope with $36,000 donation to fight childhood cancer

OEEGA NSW proudly presented a cheque for $36,000 to the Children’s Cancer Institute following their highly successful annual Radiothon.

Miltiadis Tentoglou takes Gold for Greece at the World Athletic Championships

Greek Olympic champion, Miltiadis Tentoglou, won first place for long jump at the 2023 World Athletics Championships in Budapest on Thursday.

Giannis Chatzopoulos’ moving visit to elderly residents at St Basil’s NSW & ACT

Giannis Chatzopoulos brought music and joy to residents at St Basil’s NSW & ACT in Lakemba, Sydney during a special visit last week.