Erdogan: East Med crisis is a test of EU’s sincerity

·

President Tayyip Erdogan told European Council President, Charles Michel, on Sunday the EU’s stance towards the East Mediterranean would be a test of its sincerity, calling on it to take an impartial stance in Turkey’s row with Greece.

NATO allies Turkey and Greece have been locked in a dispute over hydrocarbon exploration in the sea’s disputed waters and the extent of their continental shelves.

Provocative comments and steps by European politicians on regional matters would not help achieve a solution, Erdogan was cited as saying by his office.

Last month, Turkey sent a seismic survey vessel for hydrocarbon exploration in the east Med.

“President Erdogan said the attitude shown by the EU in the Eastern Mediterranean will be a test of sincerity from the perspective of international law and regional peace,” the statement said.

“President Erdogan called on EU institutions and member countries to behave responsibly and remain just, impartial and objective on all regional issues, notably the Eastern Mediterranean,” it added.

Michel had said on Friday that European Union leaders will decide on a “carrot and stick” approach to Turkey when they meet on September 24-25, proposing a conference to defuse tensions in the Eastern Mediterranean.

READ MORE: EU threaten Turkey with sanctions if ships don’t withdraw from Greek waters.

Last month Turkey sent a seismic survey vessel for hydrocarbon exploration in disputed waters in the region after a maritime deal between Greece and Egypt.

On Thursday, NATO Secretary-General, Jens Stoltenberg, said Greece and Turkey had agreed to start technical talks to avoid accidental clashes in the region.

The following day, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said Greece would start talks with Turkey to resolve a dispute in the Eastern Mediterranean once Turkish “provocations” ceased.

READ MORE: Greek PM tells Turkey to ‘let threats go’ and begin dialogue.

Source: Reuters.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

Over 2000 migrants participate in mass-protest against deportations on Lesvos

Tear gas fired by police at some 2,000 men and women who left refugee camp of Moria on the Greek island of LesbosProtesters carried makeshift signs with...

Qantas hit by cyber attack, millions of customer records at risk

Qantas said a cyber attack on a third-party platform linked to one of its centres may have compromised data linked to six million customers.

Sydney barrister Sue Chrysanthou given reprimand for unsatisfactory professional conduct

Sue Chrysanthou, SC, an in-demand defamation barrister, has been given a formal reprimand for unsatisfactory professional conduct.