Earthquake diplomacy? Turkey extends illegal survey activities to November 14

·

In less than 48 hours after the devastating earthquake that hit Turkey and the Greek island of Samos, Ankara has extended its seismic search activities inside the Greek continental shelf.

The Turkish navy said on Sunday in a message on the international maritime alert system, NAVTEX, that the Oruc Reis vessel would stay in the eastern Mediterranean for seismic investigations until November 14, extending its activities from the previously announced end date of November 4.

However, Athens soon responded to the Turkish move, denouncing what it described as “Turkey’s illegal conduct,” and demanding that it withdraw from the area.

Ankara has extended its seismic search activities inside the Greek continental shelf.

The Greek foreign ministry said in a tweet that Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias will inform the country’s allies and partners of the latest developments.

“This (Turkish) action only increases tensions in a vulnerable region where attention is currently focused on aid and support and solidarity (after the earthquake),” the foreign ministry said.

This morning, the Turkish Foreign Ministry had its own response to Greece’s criticism, saying continuous objections to Turkey’s survey activities are “in vain.”

“Turkey will continue its activities in the region within the framework of its rights, based on international law,” Hami Aksoy, the spokesperson for the Foreign Ministry, said in a statement.

Aksoy urged that instead of blaming Turkey with unfounded allegations and complaining to a third party, Greece should contribute to negotiations in an effort to ease increasing tensions between the neighbours.

“We once again invite Greece to an unconditional dialogue with our country to address both the Eastern Mediterranean maritime jurisdiction issue and other interrelated issues between the two countries,” Aksoy said.

Hami Aksoy, the spokesperson for the Foreign Ministry, has hit back at Greece’s criticism.

The Ministry also said on Sunday that two other vessels, the Ataman and Cengiz Han, will accompany the Oruc Reis during its activities in the Eastern Mediterranean.

It will conduct various geological, geophysical, hydrographic and oceanographic surveys, particularly of the continental shelf, while also searching for natural resources.

For now, it seems the words of friendship and good neighbourly relations between the two countries seem to be over as Turkey continues its provocative acts in the Aegean.

READ MORE: Greek PM Mitsotakis, Turkish President Erdogan exchange condolences over earthquake deaths.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

‘The Life of Byron’ opens at The Greek Centre this weekend

What happens when a middle-aged Greek Australian man is forced to confront family, memory, ageing parents and himself? 

Dendias demands apology from Ukraine over naval drone incident

Nikos Dendias has said Ukraine owes Greece a “big apology” after a Ukrainian naval drone was discovered off the coast of Lefkada.

Unidentified odour blankets southern Athens as authorities search for source

Residents across southern parts of Athens were left alarmed after a strong unexplained smell swept through several coastal suburbs.

Greece denies role in Israeli interception of Gaza-bound flotilla

Greece has denied any involvement in the Israeli military’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla bound for Gaza.

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

You May Also Like

Thanasi Kokkinakis comes from behind to progress at Citi Open

Thanasis Kokkinakis came back from 2-6, 2-4 down to beat Taro Daniel in his Washington debut to advance to the second round at the Citi Open.

Christopher Joannidis pleads guilty to crash that killed five people in Victoria

Christopher Joannidis has pleaded guilty to a deadly crash that claimed the lives of five people in northern Victoria last year.

Kouzina Greco named in top 20 restaurants in Western Sydney

The top 20 best eateries in the western Sydney region of Parramatta have been named , with Greek restaurant, Kouzina Greco, making the list.