Greece offers condolences and support following tragic North Macedonia nightclub fire

·

Greek Foreign Minister George Gerapetritis expressed his condolences and offered support to North Macedonia following a devastating nightclub fire in Kocani that claimed 59 lives.

In a phone conversation with his North Macedonian counterpart, Timcho Mucunski, Gerapetritis extended Greece’s readiness to provide any necessary assistance, including life-saving rescue teams and medical support.

“A tragic fire broke out last night in Kocani, resulting in a devastating loss of life,” stated the Greek Foreign Ministry.

“Gerapetritis expressed Greece’s willingness to assist with rescue and medical efforts.”

Some injured victims are expected to be transferred to Thessaloniki hospitals, with ongoing discussions between the two nations.

The fire, which occurred early Sunday during a concert at Club Pulse, left 59 dead and 155 injured, with authorities attributing the blaze to pyrotechnics causing the roof to catch fire.

Videos of the scene show chaotic evacuations as the fire engulfed the building.

North Macedonia’s Health Minister Arben Taravari confirmed that 118 people were hospitalised, many with severe burns.

The tragic incident has sparked an outpouring of support from neighbouring countries, including Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, and Serbia.

“This is a difficult and very sad day for Macedonia. The loss of so many young lives is irreparable,” said Prime Minister Hristijan Mickoski.

President Gordana Siljanovska-Davkova visited burn victims, while relatives of the deceased gathered outside hospitals, grieving the loss of their loved ones.

In an emotional statement, Dragi Stojanov, father of a 21-year-old victim, said, “He was my only child. I don’t need my life anymore.”

The fire, which partially collapsed the roof of the club, is under investigation, with authorities scrutinising the venue’s safety provisions.

A state prosecutor confirmed that arrests had been made in connection with the incident.

The tragedy has prompted condolences from leaders across Europe, including EU Foreign Policy Chief Kaja Kallas, Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama, and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, all expressing solidarity with the people of North Macedonia during this difficult time.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Greek Community of Melbourne honours volunteers at Appreciation Ceremony

Greek Community of Melbourne hosted inaugural Appreciation Ceremony to recognise the contributions of exemplary volunteers.

Greek Consulate in Perth begins digitisation as part of new Greek pilot program

A pilot version of digital platform, myConsulLive, has officially been launched at the Greek Consulate in Perth.

Former SA Senator Nick Xenophon faces surgery for benign brain tumour

Former senator Nick Xenophon has revealed his recent brain tumor diagnosis as he prepares for major surgery later this year.