Greece evacuates expatriates in Mariupol as Russian troops encircle Ukrainian city

·

A humanitarian corridor was opened for the evacuation of Greek nationals from Mariupol on Wednesday as Russia’s troops encircle the Ukrainian port city.

The convoy comprised of 21 cars carrying 82 passengers and left Mariupol for Ukraine’s south-eastern Zaporizhzhya region before crossing into Moldova.

Consul General Manolis Andoulakis will remain in Mariupol, the heart of the ethnic Greek community dating back to the 18th century.

READ MORE: ‘People are scared’: Ukraine’s Greek communities in agony as war rages on.

At least 10 ethnic Greeks died last month by Russian air strikes close to Mariupol.

This evacuation comes as Greece is set to open 50,000 jobs in the tourism sector for Greek expats and Ukrainian refugees, SchengenVisaInfo.com has reported.

Greece’s Minister of Tourism, Vassilis Kikiliassaid in a press release on February 28 that over 50,000 surpluses were not covered by the country’s domestic market last year.

READ MORE: Thousands attend anti-war protest in Athens as Ukraine braces for all-out Russian attack.

“Could these people with dignity, with European contracts and collective labour contracts be absorbed and help in this sector,” he said, inferring that these positions could be filled by Ukrainian refugees and Greek expats.

Greece’s Minister of Civil Protection, Takis Theodorikakos, added on Tuesday that the entry of Ukrainian refugees to Greece will be eased in close cooperation with the Ukrainian Embassy. 

READ MORE: Greece sending military, civilian aid to Ukraine.

In the meantime in Australia, His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia visited the Embassy of Ukraine in Canberra and met with Ukraine’s Charge d’Affaires in Australia, Volodymyr Shalkivskyi, who informed him about the current situation in his homeland.

His Grace Bishop Bartholomew of Charioupolis and Archimandrite Christoforos were also in attendance at the meeting on Wednesday.

Archbishop Makarios briefed Mr Shalkivskyi on his talks with Australian Government officials, while reaffirming the position of the Holy Archdiocese of Australia in favour of peace.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Victorian government pledges scholarship funding for Greek language students at La Trobe

$40,000 in funding will be given to La Trobe’s Greek Language Program to establish ten one-off student scholarships in 2021.

Panagiotis Kikianis nets twice as Subway Young Socceroos defeat Macau

The Subway Young Socceroos secured a comfortable 2-0 win over Macau in their second AFC U20 Asian Cup China PR 2025™ Qualifier.

Greek community in Sydney mark 80th anniversary of the Kalavryta Holocaust

The Kalavryton Association Aghia Lavra gathered at Bankstown Greek Orthodox Church to mark the 80th anniversary of the Kalavryta Holocaust.