Greece and Saudi Arabia lead efforts to avert Red Sea oil tanker disaster

·

Greece and Saudi Arabia are joining forces to evacuate and tow a Greek-owned oil tanker Sounion, which was attacked last week in the Red Sea by the Houthis.

The tanker was targeted by multiple projectiles off Yemen’s port city of Hodeidah as the Iran-aligned Houthis has been attacking ships in solidarity with Palestinians in the war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza.

According to Bloomberg, the plan to evacuate the tanker involves transferring the oil inside (approximately 150,000 tons) to another vessel, while Sounion will be towed to a safe port, probably in Djibouti.

Greek, French and Italian ships from the European Union’s Aspides naval operation will escort the tanker and the Saudis will likely oversee the oil transfer.

The Houthis have agreed to allow the tugboats to remove the Sounion. The group later released a video of their attack on the Greek-owned oil tanker.

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, European partners and key regional players, including Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, have successfully cooperated to make the evacuation possible.

Greek Foreign Minister Georgios Gerapetritis said on Thursday that he spoke with the Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister to ensure that “this matter will be handled as safely as possible.”

This evacuation comes after conflicting reports emerged during the past week over whether the Sounion was leaking oil into the Red Sea or not.

statement from the Pentagon on Tuesday, August 27 indicated the tanker was still burning and appeared to be leaking oil, whilst the EU’s Aspides mission later reported there was no oil spill from the Greek-flagged tanker.

In the absolute worst-case scenario, a leak of all Sounion’s cargo would represent the fifth-largest spill on record, surpassing incidents like the 2018 Sanchi spill near China. 

Source: Bloomberg.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC to face Auckland FC in historic OFC Pro League final

South Melbourne FC will face Auckland FC in the historic inaugural OFC Pro League final on Sunday at Eden Park.

Cretan community commemorates Battle of Crete with gala event in Sydney

The Cretan Association of Sydney and NSW filled Sydney with Cretan music, remembrance and celebration during its annual dance evening.

Sydney’s Pontians honour genocide victims through prayer, art and remembrance

Members of three Pontian associations in NSW gathered in Sydney on Tuesday, May 19 to commemorate the victims of the Greek Genocide.

Filli Kaoullas: The Australian powerhouse connecting Cyprus to the world

Filli Kaoullas embodies the modern Cypriot diaspora story — one defined by migration and an unwavering devotion to heritage and philanthropy.

Sydney’s Born To Bake Greek wins national small business award

Born To Bake Greek has been named Australia’s Best Cake Shop and Patisserie at the 2026 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

You May Also Like

EU should make COVID booster shot a condition for free travel, Greek PM says

The European Union should make a COVID-19 booster shot a condition for free travel, Greek Prime Minister says.

Stefanos Tsitsipas reaches his first quarter-final at the Miami Open

Second seed Stefanos Tsitsipas took one step closer to a first ATP Masters 1000 title on Tuesday after battling past Lorenzo Sonego.

Australian Hellenic Choir mark centenary of Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia

The centenary of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia was celebrated on March 22 with a concert by the Australian Hellenic Choir.