Four young Afghans face trial over catastrophic migrant camp fire in Lesbos

·

UPDATE: The four Afghan asylum-seekers were sentenced to 10 years in prison in Greece.

Four young Afghan asylum seekers were tried in Greece on Friday on charges of starting the devastating fires that burned down Europe’s largest migrant camp last year.

Moria camp on the Aegean island of Lesbos housed more than 10,000 people before being destroyed by two fires in September 2020.

The four Afghans, who are on trial on the neighbouring island of Chios, are charged with arson causing risk to human life and belonging to a criminal group.

Migrants flee from the Moria refugee camp during a second fire, on the northeastern Aegean island of Lesbos, Greece, on Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2020. Photo: AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris.

A legal source told AFP the four could face up to 15 years in prison if found guilty on both counts. No media were allowed to enter the courtroom due to coronavirus precautions.

Two other young Afghans were jailed in a prison near Athens for five years for the same case in March.

Defense lawyers for Afghans appearing on Friday argued that their clients had not received a fair trial.

READ MORE: Two Afghan youths sentenced to five years jail for causing catastrophic Moria fire

They say three of them had documents showing they were under 18 at the time of their arrest, but were not recognized as minors by the Greek state.

The trial is based largely on the testimony of another Afghan asylum seeker who identified the six as the perpetrators.

Defense lawyers said the witness was not in court on Friday and did not appear at trial last March because he could not be located.

Stand by Me Lesvos, a refugee advocacy group, said the whole camp was on fire [Manolis Lagoutaris/AFP]

The defendants say they were targeted by the witness, a Pashtun ethnic group, as all six are Hazaras, a minority long persecuted in Afghanistan.

The other prosecution witnesses are police officers, firefighters called to the scene in September 2020 and staff from the European Asylum Service and non-governmental groups working in the camp.

The EU has allocated 276 million euros ($ 336 million) to build a new permanent camp on Lesvos and for similar facilities on the islands of Chios, Samos, Kos and Leros.

Source: AFP

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Final countdown to the Greek Community of Melbourne Schools’ Olympic spirit

Excitement is building as the Greek Community of Melbourne Schools prepares for its first-ever Olympic Games, set to take place on Saturday.

Former head of Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in America charged

The former head administrator of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America has been arrested on charges he embezzled over half a million dollars from...

Exarcheia named among coolest neighbourhoods in the world

Exarcheia in Athens has been voted 31 in Time Out Magazines 40 Coolest Neighbourhoods in the world recently.