Former travel agent Arthur Zacharias will await sentencing behind bars

·

A former travel agent who operated a Ponzi scheme which defrauded the owners, clients and a former Hells Angel bikie boss has had his bail revoked ahead of sentencing, according to The Advertiser.

Arthur Zacharias appeared in Adelaide’s District Court on Thursday where victims delivered impact statements describing his deceit as cruel and morally reprehensible.

The 49-year-old of Parkside previously pleaded guilty to multiple dishonesty and deception offences including 19 counts of dishonestly dealing with property without consent between December 2014 and May 2016 at Fullarton.

He committed the offences while contracted to Axis Travel Centre, which he later sought to part purchase from owner Max Najar – using a silent partner – for $385,000.

Max Najar, owner of Axis Travel, said Zacharias used the company’s name to defraud clients, Photo: Travel Weekly

The silent partner, former interstate Hells Angels member Peter Sidirourgos, had paid the money to Zacharias in instalments, but the court heard Zacharias spent “nearly all” of that money and only about $100,000 was passed on to Mr Najar.

Mr Najar, the main victim of the offences, told the court how Zacharias’ “orchestrated and cruel” deceit had stolen almost five years of his life and ruined his proud company.

He said Zacharias had repeatedly begged to be employed and he gave him a second chance, employing him as a contractor.

Mr Najar told the court he felt humiliated and embarrassed by Zacharias’ crimes which resulted in significant financial trauma amounting to more than $596,894 as well as lost time and health issues.

Judge Simon Stretton will sentence Zacharias next month.

Source: The Advertiser

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Unidentified odour blankets southern Athens as authorities search for source

Residents across southern parts of Athens were left alarmed after a strong unexplained smell swept through several coastal suburbs.

Greece denies role in Israeli interception of Gaza-bound flotilla

Greece has denied any involvement in the Israeli military’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla bound for Gaza.

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

You May Also Like

Cyprus holds rig security drills amid hydrocarbon tensions with Turkey

Ships and aircraft from eight nations took part in annual drills to boost security procedures on vessels and oil rigs off Cyprus.

Tribute show for Mimis Plessas and Giorgos Zambetas to be held in Sydney

A tribute show for Mimis Plessas and Giorgos Zambetas will take place on Sunday, April 2 at the Factory Theatre in Sydney.

OXI Day: Your guide to upcoming events across Australia

It’s that time of the year again as Greek communities around Australia prepare to commemorate OXI Day on October 28.