Former British Museum curator faces court order over alleged thefts

·

A London court has issued an order for a former curator of the Ancient Greek collections at the British Museum, Mr Peter Higgs, who was accused of stealing hundreds of artefacts.

Reuters reported that Mr Higgs has now been asked to list all items that were stolen from the Museum, and return them.

After being dismissed for the alleged thefts, Mr Higgs will now face a civil lawsuit from the museum, however he has not been criminally charged.

Some of the stolen artefacts include ancient Greek and Roman jewellery.

Peter higgs
Mr Peter Higgs, the artefact thief. Photo: Mirror.co.

Despite Mr Higgs not attending his hearing, the Museum’s lawyers have taken legal action to recover the missing items.

“While the full extent of the thefts is unknown, it is presently believed that over 1,800 items were stolen or damaged and that many hundreds of them were sold or offered for sale by (Higgs),” the Museum’s lawyer, Daniel Burgess, said.

Mr Burgess further added that Higgs tried to “cover his tracks by, among other things, using false names, creating false documents and manipulating records held on the Museum’s IT systems.”

“The British Museum has had 356 items returned so far,” Mr Burgess added.

Source: Reuters.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Greek and Cypriot officials in Australia send messages to mark Greece’s National Day

George Papakostas and Antonis Sammoutis, sent messages to Australia’s diaspora ahead of Greek Independence Day on March 25.

Fotis Antonios arrested in connection to alleged billion-dollar sex abuse claims scam

NSW Police have arrested seven people, including 55-year-old Fotis Antonios, in connection with an alleged billion-dollar scam.

EU Summit: Turkey rejects decision to widen sanctions, says EU should be an ‘honest mediator’

Ankara rejected the 27-member group’s “biased and unlawful attitude.”