Family of stroke survivor Steven Stavrou slams Optus after left without triple-0 access

·

Mile End man Steven Stavrou, 65, is in hospital recovering from a stroke after his family’s desperate triple-0 calls went unanswered during Optus’ recent outage.

Stavrou collapsed at home around 9.15am on Thursday, but every attempt by relatives to reach an ambulance failed because they were all Optus customers.

“There were four people here when it happened, and we are all with Optus, and we couldn’t get through to the ambulance service,” son-in-law Doug Costello told The Advertiser.

Realising the problem was network-wide, the family turned to a friend on Telstra, who finally reached emergency services. Paramedics rushed Stavrou to the Royal Adelaide Hospital, where he remains in a serious condition.

“It’s really bad. He’s got to go to rehab,” Costello said. “I just hate to think what if he was here by himself… how long would he have been on the floor?”

The family said Optus’ handling of their complaint was insulting. “They didn’t want anything to do with it. We asked to speak to a manager. They said, ‘Just turn your phone on and off and then try again,’” Costello said.

He was furious when Optus chief executive Stephen Rue later claimed the company only became aware of triple-0 problems at 1.30pm. “That’s rubbish because we called them and told them about this at 10.15am,” he said.

The family has lodged a complaint with the Ombudsman and vowed to cut ties with Optus.

Their ordeal is one of several cases that have emerged from the outage, which lasted more than 10 hours and left Australians unable to call emergency services.

Other victims include a 69-year-old heart patient, a 75-year-old woman trapped under her mobility scooter, and a young father suffering a cellulitis infection.

Most devastatingly, the blackout has been linked to multiple deaths, including that of an Adelaide woman who suffered chest pains at home and a two-month-old baby boy in Gawler West.

Source: The Advertiser.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Police seeking Travis Murdoch for questioning over alleged killing of Kevin Kourtis

The police are seeking 20-year-old Travis Murdoch for questioning in relation to the alleged murder of Greek national Kevin Kourtis last month.

Mitsotakis: Turkey’s position over Aegean islands ‘absolutely absurd’

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, said Turkey questioning Greece's sovereignty over its islands is "absurd".

SA man speaks out after bonfire proposal to Elizabeth Parsalidis ends in disaster

South Australian man Adam Boots has spoken out after his romantic bonfire proposal to Elizabeth Parsalidis turned into a fiery tragedy.