‘Everyone’s on edge’: Travel agent Maria Tadros says as Aussies urged to leave Lebanon

·

Australians in Lebanon are being urged to “leave immediately” as the security situation in the Middle East exacerbates.

Arrivals and departures from Beirut-Rafic Hariri International Airport (Lebanon’s only airport), have all been cancelled or delayed due to security and insurance risks amid tensions in Hezbollah.

Rubble in southern Lebanon. Photo: AFP.

Sydney travel agent Maria Tadros said there has been an increase in demand and pressure from customers eager to get home or cancel their upcoming arrival flights.

“Everyone’s on edge. Don’t get me wrong. I woke up to so many messages, missed calls. Yes, people are on edge. People are wanting for me to change their flights to bring them back home earlier… But unfortunately, they have to pay a fee to change. I am not sure if you are aware that all travel insurance has been suspended from last year. So anyone travelling to Lebanon are travelling with no travel insurance. So this is another risk they took to travel to Lebanon,” Tadros said.

These sentiments reiterate the attitude of Australia’s Prime Minister Anthony Albanese who has warned Australians about the government’s inability to help those who stay in Lebanon.

“The travel advice very clearly is don’t go to Lebanon… Australian citizens should ensure that they take advantage of the commercial flights that are available out of Lebanon at this time. This is a troubling area… it is important that people are cognisant of those warnings,” Albanese said.

Source: SBS News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Nick Kyrgios: Australian public’s lack of ‘respect’ behind Davis Cup snub

Nick Kyrgios has revealed the reason behind his decision to not represent Australia in the Davis Cup this year.

Melbourne exhibition traces 100 years of the Treaty of Lausanne’s enduring influence

The Return to Anatolia committee launched its photographic exhibition for the centenary of the signing of the Treaty of Lausanne in Victoria.

Greek PM Mitsotakis to meet farmers’ committee as protests continue

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis will host a new round of talks on Monday with a 25-member committee representing farmers.