EU willing to discuss easing of Greek budget targets

·

The European Union’s new economy commissioner says Greece’s bailout lenders are willing to discuss a request by Athens to ease strict budget targets that would help speed up the country’s recovery.

While visiting Athens Thursday, Paolo Gentiloni said discussions could begin as soon as next month to ease the targets that were imposed to ensure Greece continues with its cost-cutting reforms and repays rescue loans provided between 2010 and 2018 by other eurozone members and the International Monetary Fund.

Gentiloni, who assumed office on Dec. 1, said the Commission was waiting for the results of an inspection into Greece’s public finances carried out last month in conjunction with the European Central Bank, a eurozone bailout fund, and the IMF.

“I think that there are all the (right) conditions to have a good report, and a good report could pave the way to decisions, and also to open the discussion about the possibility to change our targets on surplus,” Gentiloni, a former Italian prime minister, told reporters in Athens.

As part of its commitments to bailout lenders, Greece has pledged to maintain a high primary budget surplus — the annual state balance before debt servicing costs — worth 3.5% of annual GDP through 2022.

But the Greek centre-right government wants to lower that target, starting next year, arguing that the country can now tap bond markets at historically-low interest rates as its credit rating approaches investment grade.

Bailout lenders had previously been reluctant to discuss Athens’ request, fearing it could undermine the country’s reform commitment and ability to repay bailout loans as Greece struggles with a massive national debt of around 180% of GDP.

Christos Staikouras, the Greek finance minister, said the commissioner’s remarks were a vote of confidence in the seven-month old pro-reform government.

“We are regaining confidence at home and abroad … the economy is improving and stabilising,” Staikouras said. “Greece is returning to normal.”

Sourced by: AP News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Dr Chris Profyris among 30 leading neurosurgeons defending Dr Charlie Teo

Dr Chris Profyris is among 30 leading neurosurgeons who have leapt to their colleague Charlie Teo’s defence.

13,000 chairs in Berlin to demand Greek migrant camps closure

13,000 chairs were placed outside the German Parliament in a protest calling for the closure of overcrowded migrant camps in Greece.

Weekend-long celebration of Hellenism held at Chau Chak Wing Museum in Sydney

A weekend-long celebration of Greek culture and heritage was held on May 20 - 21 at the University of Sydney's Chau Chak Wing Museum.