Erdogan says nothing will stop Turkey from searching for gas in Mediterranean

·

Turkey will carry on exploring for oil and gas in the eastern Mediterranean, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday in comments that may revive tensions with the European Union and Greece amid attempts to repair their frayed ties.

Turkey is at odds with EU members Greece and Cyprus over energy resources and jurisdiction in the region, and tensions flared last year when Turkish and Greek navy frigates escorted vessels exploring for hydrocarbons.

Speaking in the northwestern province of Sakarya, Erdogan said Turkey had been receiving “signals of natural gas” in the eastern Mediterranean and vowed to continue defending Turkey’s rights in the region.

“Whatever our rights are, we will take those one way or another. And we will carry out our oil exploration operations in the eastern Mediterranean, Cyprus, and all those seas,” he said, without elaborating or providing a timeline.

Turkey’s President Tayyip Erdogan holds a news conference during the NATO summit at the Alliance’s headquarters in Brussels, Belgium June 14, 2021. REUTERS/Yves Herman/Pool

EU leaders had threatened punitive measures against Ankara over its offshore activities, but later froze those plans after Turkey withdrew a research vessel from contested waters.

Ankara has since been working to repair ties with the bloc and Athens.

After Turkey brought its Oruc Reis vessel back to port in November amid threats of EU sanctions, Ankara resumed direct talks with Athens after a five-year hiatus. The two sides have held two rounds of talks since January, but have said no immediate results should be expected.

Erdogan’s comments came a week after the EU promised 3.5 billion euros for Turkey to continue hosting Syrian refugees until 2024. Ankara later dismissed it as insufficient and called on the bloc to take concrete steps to increase cooperation.

Brussels and Ankara also disagree over the divided island of Cyprus.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu warned on Thursday that it would resume operations in the eastern Mediterranean if the EU and United Nations did not take steps on equitable sharing in Cyprus, after informal UN-led talks in April yielded no significant results.

Ankara backs the breakaway Turkish Cypriot administration in the north and is the only country that does not recognise the Greek Cypriot government to the south.

Cyprus was split in two after a Turkish invasion prompted by a brief Greek-inspired coup in 1974.

Erdogan will visit northern Cyprus on July 20. 

Source: Reuters

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

You May Also Like

Antetokounmpo family donates 10,000 surgical masks to Athens suburb of Zografou

NBA star Giannis Antetokounmpo and his brothers donated 10,000 surgical masks to the Athens suburb of Zografou to help fight the coronavirus pandemic.

Greece qualifies for Eurovision 2024 final

Greece has qualified for the Eurovision 2024 final following a performance of the song ‘Zari’ by 37-year-old Marina Satti. Read more here.

‘I want to inspire kids’: Alkisti Pitsaki to bring Greek myths and legends to the NGV

Alkisti Pitsaki is set to bring Greek myths and legends to the National Gallery of Victoria's Kids Summer Festival 2023.