Drew Pavlou settles $3.5 million lawsuit against University of Queensland

·

Anti-China protester, Drew Pavlou has received no financial compensation after agreeing to settle a $3.5 million lawsuit against the University of Queensland (UQ), following his suspension over criticism of Chinese influence on campus.

According to The Australian, the 24-year-old filed legal action in the Queensland Supreme Court in June 2020, claiming UQ’s disciplinary action against him was invalid, that he had been defamed and that there was a civil conspiracy to silence his freedom of speech.

Well-known for his outspoken criticism of the Chinese Communist Party, Pavlou drew international attention for his lawsuit against UQ, chancellor Peter Varghese, and then vice-chancellor Peter Hoj.

Pavlou reportedly agreed to drop the lawsuit only because the university offered $120,000 worth of law scholarships to future students.

drew
Drew Pavlou (left) and his barrister Anthony (Tony) Morris (right). Photo: The Australian.

“I always said I would drop the case if UQ just apologised [and] admitted they were wrong,” Pavlou said.

“This is basically the closest I’ll ever come to having an apology from UQ, Peter Hoj and Peter Varghese. They have agreed to put $120,000 towards the law scholarships for disadvantaged students and I am not receiving a single cent as part of the settlement.”

Pavlou served out his suspension, which was cut from two years to six months, before returning to complete his arts degree and is now a law student.

“A part of me will always be really bitter that Peter Hoj, Peter Varghese and UQ will never face direct consequences for their actions,” Pavlou said.

“I will never, ever forgive them.”

Source: The Australian

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Waverley Council releases plan for managing Bondi Beach during busy summer period

“Please, if our beaches or parks look busy, come back another time or use that time to visit our local businesses who need your support," Waverley Mayor Paula Masselos says.

Hellenic Community of Western Australia celebrates 100 years since its inception

On Thursday, 23 November, the Hellenic Community of Western Australia came together to celebrate 100 years of since its inception

Greek Community of Melbourne and Victoria: Meet the new Executive Team

The Greek Community of Melbourne Electoral Committee called to a meeting the 19 successful candidates from the most recent elections.