Cyprus reports huge jump in domestic violence cases amid coronavirus pandemic

·

The coronavirus outbreak has brought about a disturbing surge in cases of domestic violence in Cyprus, with the 1440 helpline receiving over 2,000 calls between the date of the confirmation of the island’s first coronavirus case and March 31.

In a recent press release, the Association for the Prevention and Handling of Family Violence said that of the 2,075 calls received by the domestic violence hotline since coronavirus broke out on March 9, the association could only respond to 921, with the remaining 1,154 calls remaining unanswered as the helpline had often been flooded with calls.

“In a period of just 23 days, 15 requests had been made to be transferred to shelters, while 12 women had requested personal counselling and 230 had reported cases of family violence, corresponding to over 10 cases per day,” the Association said in a statement.

“These calls regarding domestic violence are definitely maintaining a highly-concerning upward trend, which mirrors the rising degree of danger against women and children brought about by the new restriction measures.”

In fact, according to experts from the Domestic Violence Association, these measures are now being used as a tool in the hands of perpetrators. New abuse tactics range from:

  • Withholding means of personal protection including antiseptic liquids, masks, and medicine.
  • Withholding or using children as a means of exercising psychological violence.
  • Flouting protective measures and exposing women and children to an increased risk of contracting the virus.
  • Forcing women into excessive uses of personal protection measures, sometimes until they bleed or form wounds.
  • Obstructing women from seeking medical and other help in cases where they develop symptoms.

Are you the victim of any of the above in Australia? Contact 1800 RESPECT.

The Association stressed that it continues to provide help to people in Cyprus through the 1440 helpline, teleconferences and other forms of contact, while shelters remain in full operation.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Greek potter preserves ancient craft, wins UNESCO recognition

In his seaside workshop on the Greek island of Lesvos, Dimitris Kouvdis, preserves ancient pottery-making traditions.

Greek shipowner Andreas Potamianosdies dies aged 88

Andreas Potamianos, one of Greece’s most prominent shipowners, passed away on Friday at the age of 88. 

SA grape grower Michael Stivahtaris counts his losses amid frosty weather

Wine grape growers said they have suffered crop losses due to unseasonable frosts, which are expected to persist.