Cyprus expects arrival of 600,000 tourists by August

·

Cypriot Transport Minister Yiannis Karousos is expecting a tourism boom as a result of the restriction relaxations, with the minister predicting the arrival of 600,000 passengers in August.

Speaking from Larnaca Aiport, Karousos said “we are initiating efforts to restore our country’s connectivity in the best possible way,” noting that a deal has been reached with Hungarian low-cost airline WIZZ AIR to form a base at the airport.

“Initially, there will be two aircrafts, with the number to increase at a later stage, while 11 more flights toward 11 airports and seven countries will boost current routes,” Karousos said.

Transport Minister Yiannis Karousos with Deputy Tourism Minister Savvas Perdios at Larnaca airport press conference. Photo: Facebook.

“The benefits for Cyprus are very important, in terms of both tourism and the economy, as jobs will be created,” Karousos said, adding that the company said its intentions are not to take away clients of its competitors but to create additional passenger flows.

The airline’s base in Laranaca Airport will serve to boost connectivity with countries and destinations that Cyprus did not enjoy in the past, Karousos said.

Read More: New joint tourism initiative proposed by Greek and Cypriot travel agents

Karousos noted that discussions are also being held with other major airlines, in view of creating additional flights and routes.

“There is a gradual lifting of measures,” Karousos said, noting that “we are kicking off on June 9, and by June 20 passengers from a number of countries won’t need to present a certificate [for coronavirus].”

Read More: Greek minister requests ‘trust’ from public over tourism opening

The aim is for other countries to be steadily upgraded to the category of countries from which incoming passengers won’t need to present a certificate proving they have tested negative for the virus.

“According to our estimations and based on the facts we have so far, by August we should have around 600,000 passengers arriving in Cyprus.”

Commenting on the deal reached with the Hungarian airline, Deputy Tourism Minister Savvas Perdios said it is a “great success for Cyprus, particularly in the conditions in which we are living, as no one can know which airlines will manage to survive and how many flights they will be able to maintain globally.”

Perdios added that several teleconferences are expected to follow next week to evaluate the responses of their letter sent out to foreign governments.

“We’re optimistic that countries abroad are talking about Cyprus, as foreign news outlets have since yesterday [Wednesday] been talking about the island, and particularly about what it has achieved and how it will deal with any potential difficult situations that may arise.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Areti Ketime brings the spirit of rebetiko to Melbourne for the Zeibekiko Festival

The Zeibekiko Festival has returned for its third year this month with a lively Rebetika performance in Melbourne by singer Areti Ketime. 

Why Mihali Georgeou is on his way to becoming a household name

While we live in a time when performers are curated and authenticity is rare, Mihali Georgeou reminds us that some things can’t be taught.

First Greek Youth Comedy Gala delivers a night of laughter in Sydney

The first-ever Greek Youth Comedy Gala took centre stage at the Canterbury Leagues Club in Belmore, Sydney on Saturday, March 15.