John Tsalapatis walks free from court after killing SA teacher in crash

·

South Australian man John Tsalapatis – who caused a fatal crash at a McLaren Vale intersection in 2021 – has avoided jail, but a judge has ordered he serve a three-year sentence at home.

Tsalapatis was found guilty in March of dangerous driving causing the death of 61-year-old schoolteacher Bernice Sternberg — who was a passenger in a car being driven by her husband Rony Sternberg. 

Tsalapatis drove through a McLaren Vale intersection in 2021 without giving way despite two warning signs, on a clear day with fine conditions.

Tsalapatis was found guilty last month for causing death by dangerous driving.
Tsalapatis was found guilty last month for causing death by dangerous driving. Photo: ABC News.

During sentencing on Wednesday, District Court Judge Nick Alexandrides said there was nothing about the road conditions that explained or excused Tsalapatis’ poor attention, and his remorse had not involved taking responsibility.

Tsalapatis was sentenced to three years jail, with a non-parole period of two years and four months. He was ordered to serve the sentence on home detention. His driver’s licence was also disqualified for 12 years.

Tsalapatis has lodged an appeal against his conviction.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

George Calombaris confirms exit from Jon Adgemis’ Linchpin Hospitality

George Calombaris has confirmed he no longer works for Linchpin Hospitality, the company managing parts of Jon Adgemis’ hospitality empire.

Giannis Topalidis on Euro 2004, discipline and Greek football

Giannis Topalidis, one of the key figures of the Euro 2004 triumph, visited Australia and met with The Greek Herald last Friday.

The future of The Hellenic Lyceum of Sydney and its breathtaking exhibitions [Part 2]

"The Lyceum is not just a social thing, it’s also about maintaining a connection to Greece and its history," President, Mrs Vertzayias, says.