Cyprus’ President calls for answers over death of Cypriot Australian Thanasis Nicolaou

·

Cyprus’ President Nikos Christodoulides has called for answers into the death of Cypriot Australian Thanasis Nicolaou 19 years ago.

A judge from the Limassol district court ruled on Friday that Nicolaou’s death in 2005 resulted from strangulation, vindicating his family’s long-held belief of foul play.

Nicolaou was found dead under Alassa bridge in September 2005. He was 26. Forensic pathologist Panicos Stavrianos ruled it was a suicide, however the family has long-argued it was a murder coverup.

At the time of his death, Nicolaou was serving in the armed forces of Cyprus. Nicolaou died a day after he reported horrific bullying at his army unit, and spoke out of suspicions of drug dealing at his barracks.

After his remains were exhumed in 2020 over suspicions of foul play, further autopsies showed he had been beaten and strangled.

thanasis nicolaou
Thanasis Nicolaou was found dead under Alassa bridge in September 2005.

On Friday, Judge Doria Varoshiotou attributed the death to a criminal act in a comprehensive decision. Karagianni’s findings, based on an examination of the hyoid bone, supported strangulation as the cause of death.

Upon hearing the decision, relatives of the Nicolaou family who were present in the courtroom burst into applause, and Thanasis’ mother, Andriana Nicolaou, exclaimed, “There is justice!’”.

In response to this landmark hearing, Cyprus’ President said on Sunday that the executive branch will move to examine why for 19 years the tragic case of Nicolaou was not properly handled.

According to Cyprus Mail, President Christodoulides did not rule out appointing an independent investigator to examine the case.

“I am in personal contact with [Nicolaou’s] mother, at a human level, if you wish. But as an executive branch we will do whatever it takes,” Christodoulides said.

“Of course, the result is very important but we need to see why for all these years, everything that had to happen did not happen.”

Source: Cyprus Mail.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Paul Nicolaou urges action on delayed Barangaroo Central project

Nicolaou urges faster action on delayed Barangaroo Central project, warning continued setbacks risk hurting business confidence in Sydney.

Burwood tower approved beside Greek Orthodox Saint Nectarios church in Sydney

A controversial 39-storey tower has been approved beside Sydney’s historic Greek Orthodox Saint Nectarios church in Burwood.

Greece tourism season faces uncertainty despite strong 2026 outlook

Middle East tensions and rising fuel costs are beginning to cloud Greece’s 2026 tourism outlook, despite optimism from Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

Cyprus warns Turkey’s ‘Blue Homeland’ law threatens regional stability

Nikos Christodoulides has called for a European response to Turkey’s proposed ‘Blue Homeland’ maritime law.

Australia gifts Greek PM commemorative coin marking 85 years since Battle of Crete

Australia has presented Greece with a commemorative coin marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Greece and Crete.

You May Also Like

Macquarie University confirms ‘ongoing relationship’ with Greek Studies Foundation

A Macquarie University spokesperson has confirmed to The Greek Herald they have an 'ongoing relationship' with the Greek Studies Foundation.

Olympic flame arrives in Marseille ahead of Paris Games

Olympic flame for Paris 2024 has arrived in Marseille with thousands of spectators lining the city’s Old Port to welcome the flame to France.

Yorgos Lanthimos teases his next movie with Emma Stone

Yorgos Lanthimos shared insights into his upcoming film project with Emma Stone, titled "Kinds of Kindness," which he is currently editing.