Coronavirus cases in Greece pass 1,000

·

Greece confirmed 95 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, according to health authorities, bringing the total to 1,061 since the country’s first recorded infection on Feb. 26.

Health ministry representative Sotiris Tsiodras said 32 people have died due to COVID-19.

Greece has imposed a curfew until early April, restricting the movement of people with few exceptions. It has also shut its borders to non-EU nationals and Italy and Spain to contain the spread of the virus.

The rise in new infections in Greece has so far been gradual and steady.

Earlier Saturday, Development and Investment Minister Adonis Georgiadis said on TV the lockdown will last “way beyond” April 6, the original end-date envisaged when the lockdown was applied.

The government says that the vast majority of inhabitants adhere to the lockdown, but mulls further moves to decongest supermarkets and maintain social distance, such as making aisles one-way passages.

Sourced by: Reuters

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Sydney barrister Sue Chrysanthou given reprimand for unsatisfactory professional conduct

Sue Chrysanthou, SC, an in-demand defamation barrister, has been given a formal reprimand for unsatisfactory professional conduct.

Bank of Sydney Grant for Good applications now open in Australia

Bank of Sydney has announced applications are now open for its $20,000 Grant for Good community grant. Find out how to apply here.

Ankara challenges Athens with rival Aegean maritime claim

Turkey has unveiled its own marine spatial planning map in what appears to be a retaliatory move against Greece’s recently announced plan.