Close to 150 migrants test positive for coronavirus at quarantined hotel in Kranidi

·

Greek authorities said Tuesday that 150 people tested positive for the novel coronavirus at a quarantined seaside hotel housing 470 asylum-seekers from Africa, including many children, but none of those infected displayed symptoms of COVID-19.

The rented hotel just outside Kranidi, some 170 kilometres (100 miles) southwest of Athens, has been quarantined since April 16 after an employee tested positive. A asylum-seeker also tested positive during a hospital visit for pregnancy complications on Sunday.

Authorities imposed a night-time curfew starting Tuesday for the entire Kranidi area of some 4,000 residents and also tightened movement restrictions to only allow essential shopping and visits to doctors or pharmacies.

Migrant boys play with a ball outside a hotel in Kranidi town about 170 kilometers (106 miles) southwest of Athens, Tuesday, April 21, 2020. AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis

The chief of Greece’s coronavirus task force, Sotiris Tsiodras, said all 497 asylum-seekers and staff members at the hotel were tested for the virus and the results were positive for 148 residents and two workers.

“No patients with symptoms of the disease have been found,” Tsiodras said. “Residents in such closed centers are among the most vulnerable people for the spread of the disease. The sooner these cases can be registered and handled, the better.”

Greek Civil Protection Agency chief Nikos Hardalias said during a visit to Kranidi there was no cause for panic.

“Everything is under control right now, but we have to take some preventive measures,” he said while announcing the 8 p.m. – 8 a.m. curfew and movement restrictions that will apply for two weeks.

Migrants wave from the their balconies at a hotel in Kranidi town about 170 kilometers (106 miles) southwest of Athens, Tuesday, April 21, 2020. (AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis)

The International Organisation for Migration said that since October 2019 the hotel has housed mostly families from Congo and Cameroon who were transferred to mainland Greece from congested refugee camps on the eastern Aegean Sea islands, where they first arrived on smuggling boats from nearby Turkey.

The United Nations agency runs the facility. An IOM spokeswoman said the hotel is fully equipped with protective clothing, masks and gloves, and has been disinfected. She said IOM staff there include psychologists, interpreters, a legal adviser and a social worker.

No cases of COVID-19 have so far been confirmed at the island camps holding some 40,000 people. Two asylum-seeker facilities north of Athens were quarantined after minor outbreaks..

Greece imposed an early lockdown to combat the pandemic, and by Tuesday evening had registered a total of 2,401 virus cases and 121 deaths.

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Fans locked out of Oakleigh Cannons versus Preston Lions clash amid safety concerns

Supporters will be barred from attending one of the most anticipated fixtures of the NPL Victoria season this Friday.

‘I am truly sorry’: Eleni Petinos MP sacked following bullying allegations

The NSW Minister for Small Business and Fair Trading, Eleni Petinos, has been sacked after allegations she bullied workers in her office.

‘It’s in our blood to fight for what’s right,’ says Randwick City Councillor, Harry Stavrinos

Since 2012, Councillor Harry Stavrinos has been serving the constituents of West Ward and the Greater Randwick community.