Christmas nightmare: State border crackdowns in place as NSW records COVID-19 spike

·

States and territories have been quick to reimpose border restrictions on people travelling from New South Wales in response to the state’s growing coronavirus outbreak.

The news will come as a heavy blow to people who were hoping to cross state lines to see their families at Christmas.

Here is a brief on the current restrictions enforced by each State.

Queensland

Queensland’s chief health officer, Dr Jeannette Young, said the new rules would apply to anyone who had been in the Northern Beaches region on or since Friday, December 11.

If that’s you, and you are already in Queensland, you are required to get tested for the virus and quarantine in your home or accommodation until 14 days after the date you left the Northern Beaches.

If you arrived in Queensland on a flight from Sydney after midnight (12am Friday, December 18), the same rule applies.

Finally, if you arrive in Queensland after 1am on Saturday, you’ll be required to go into hotel quarantine at your own expense.

Victoria

Victoria has asked anyone who’s been in the Northern Beaches area since December 11 to “stay at home and get tested tomorrow”.

“They should stay at home until results are available and especially avoid visiting aged care facilities and hospitals. Further guidance will be issued as information becomes available,” the state’s Department of Health and Human Services said.

In addition, anyone who was in the Northern Beaches region or other NSW exposure sites on or since Friday, December 11 and arrives in Victoria after 12.01am on Friday, December 18, must get tested and quarantine in their home or accommodation for 14 days from the date they left the Northern Beaches.

South Australia

South Australia has not made any announcements yet. Currently, those who have come from NSW are urged to monitor themselves and isolate if they develop symptoms.

 NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian. Photograph: Mick Tsikas/AAP.

ACT

There are no current restrictions for travellers moving to or from the ACT, however this is being monitored closely.

Western Australia

In Western Australia, anyone arriving from New South Wales from Friday onwards will have to quarantine for two weeks.

If you travelled to WA from NSW since December 11, you must get tested and then self-isolate until you get a negative result.

“I understand these changes will cause frustration and uncertainty for some people, and be very upsetting for many families looking to reunite and spend Christmas together,” Premier Mark McGowan said.

“This has been a difficult decision to make, but we need to follow the health advice and do what is in the best interest of all Western Australians.”

Tasmania

Tasmania has banned anyone who’s been in the Northern Beaches area on or since December 11 from entering the state.

If you’re already there, you have been asked to call the Public Health Hotline on 1800 671 738 to advise it of your movements and book a test.

Northern Territory

The Northern Territory has declared the Northern Beaches a virus hotspot.

Chief Minister Michael Gunner has announced anyone travelling to the NT from the region must undertake 14 days of supervised quarantine in either Alice Springs or Darwin, at a cost of $2500 per person.

“If you are intending to travel to the Northern Territory from an identified COVID-19 hotspot, you are advised to rethink your plans,” the NT government said.

“Anyone who has already arrived in the Northern Territory from Northern Beaches Council LGA on or after December 11 needs to arrange for a COVID-19 test and self-quarantine while awaiting the test results.”

Sourced By: Daily Telegraph

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

EU delegation denied entry by authorities in eastern Libya in diplomatic dispute

Greek Migration Minister Thanos Plevris, part of a delegation, was denied entry into eastern Libya on alleged entry violations.

Greece ranks fifth highest in Europe for short-term rental prices

Greece has become the fifth most expensive destination in Europe for short-term rentals, with the average nightly rate reaching 250 euros.

Greece honours Greek Genocide victims as Turkey rejects ‘delusional’ historical facts

Turkey has labelled statements on the Greek Genocide as “delusional” and rejected what it called “unfounded” historical claims.