Australian PM announces cabinet reshuffle to shape pandemic recovery

·

Dan Tehan will take over as Trade Minister under a cabinet reshuffle announced by Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Friday.

The Prime Minister will also elevate fresh faces to his frontbench including former SAS captain Andrew Hastie and Queenslander Amanda Stoker to assistant ministerial roles.

Mr Tehan will take on the key trade portfolio, putting the former diplomat at the forefront of repairing Australia’s relationship with China. Alan Tudge takes over Mr Tehan’s former portfolio of education, now combined with youth affairs.

In a larger than expected change-up, Greg Hunt will be given the difficult Aged Care portfolio alongside his current Health portfolio. Tasmanian senator Richard Colbeck retains responsibility for aged care services, including the delivery of residential and home care packages and regulation of the sector.

“This is about elevating aged care into the cabinet … because of the seriousness of this issue, the size and scale of the reform program that will need to be implemented post the royal commission report,” Mr Morrison said, denying that Senator Colbeck had been demoted after a rocky performance during the pandemic.

“One of the things that I think happen, often, when there are reshuffles is there is tendency to look at these things always in personal terms and the internal politics and, to be honest, what matters is aged care and the care of elderly Australians,” he said.

Paul Fletcher takes back responsibility for urban infrastructure and cities, which he held under former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, in addition to his existing portfolios of communications and arts.

David Coleman, who has been on personal leave for a year, will return to Parliament and the outer ministry as assistant minister for mental health and suicide prevention. Alex Hawke takes on Mr Coleman’s former role as immigration minister while ACT senator Zed Seselja is elevated to the ministry to take on the international development and Pacific portfolios.

Jane Hume will also be elevated into the ministry, although she keeps the same responsibilities for superannuation and financial services, with the digital economy added.

Mr Hastie becomes the assistant minister for defence, after fellow West Australian Steve Irons stood aside, while Senator Stoker will assist Attorney-General Christian Porter.

There are no changes to the Nationals on the frontbench.

Mr Morrison characterised the reshuffle as a “modest set of changes”, saying it was important at this time to have stability, certainty and constancy.

Sourced By: Sydney Mornign Herald

greek film festival sydney new

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Is it just fun, or do they learn?’ A guide to Greek immersion

This Pharos Tip arose from a parent at a ‘bilingual homes’ seminar who asked how to encourage children to actively use the Greek they were learning.

Basic things you need to know about the acceptance of inheritance

Sooner or later, we will all be called upon at some point to settle the inheritance matters of a beloved relative.

Parramatta to come alive with the Let’s Go Greek Festival this September

Parramatta will come alive on Sunday, September 21, when Let’s Go Greek Festival returns to the grounds of St Ioannis Greek Orthodox Church.

Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia elects new leadership team

The Pontian Federation of Australia has elected a new leadership team, with Maria Anthony and Peter Papoulidis stepping in as Co-Presidents.

The Governor Olive Oil: Tradition, innovation, and science

Corfu has a deep-rooted olive oil tradition, but in 2010 its oil had the worst reputation in Greece, and production was about to stop.

You May Also Like

Hundreds attend GOCSA’s Epiphany celebrations at Henley Beach 

Hundreds flocked to the Henley Beach Foreshore to participate in the 2025 Henley Beach Greek Festival and Blessing of the Waters.

Celeste Barber’s $51 million bushfire money can’t be distributed to other charities

Money raised by Celeste Barber's bushfire campaign cannot be distributed to other charities but can be given to injured firefighters, a judge has ruled.

CAS overturns PAOK’s seven-point deduction

Greek side PAOK were handed a lifeline in their pursuit of Champions League qualification when the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) overturned a...